Beginner flute upgrade: Galeon or Copley?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tradlad123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Re: Beginner flute upgrade: Galeon or Copley?

Post by tradlad123 »

+1 for Copley&Boegli flutes... It's amazing that such a great playing flute is available at a reasonable price. I am not an "expert" player by any means but over the years as I have improved (and tried many other flutes) I have only liked and appreciated mine more. Also people have complimented on the tone I am able to get from it on multiple occasions.
JWGaffney
Tell us something.: Irish flute player, uilleann piper. Just got a new flute, looking for information on old flutes. I’ve been playing Irish music for 30 years, but am just recently getting more into it.

Re: Beginner flute upgrade: Galeon or Copl

Post by JWGaffney »

I picked up a Copley six key Blackwood about year or so ago. Honestly, it’s one of the best flutes I’ve ever played. The only comparison that even comes close was an Olwell a player let me try years ago. They really are that good. Given the price and the relatively short waiting period, I don’t think you could go wrong. And Dave is outstanding to work with. He kept in touch, was happy to answer any question I had and delivered four months ahead of schedule. Nothing against Galeon, I’ve never played one but I hear they are great. But, without a doubt, Dave’s work is top-notch, and at an awesome price, too. Go for it!
SimpleWhistler
Tell us something.: Love music, especially ITM. Beginner musician. Play tin whistle. "Own" a low whistle, flute, and fiddle. Hoping to learn all of them. My dream come true would be to learn uilleann pipes!

Re: Beginner flute upgrade: Galeon or Copley?

Post by SimpleWhistler »

So I received a Copley keyless Delrin with close hole spacing and offset holes about 2 weeks ago. WOW!

First of all, it looks really great. I went ahead and got the silver rings on it and it looks very nice!

I had an opportunity to try a blackwood keyless for a while back in November. It was really gorgeous and I was so tempted to keep it. However, I just could not get comfortable with the standard right hand hole spacing. Therefore the decision to go with the close spacing and offset holes. Now having the Delrin flute I can say it was the right decision for me.

Also, since I'm just beginning I wanted to be able to pick up the flute and play a few minutes as often as possible. Therefore the decision to go ahead with one made in Delrin since I wasn't sure if I would care for the wood one properly. If I continue to improve, maybe a wood flute is in my future some day!

I'm still working on building up my breath support but I'm able to get good sound out of it. I'm finding it quite easy to play and get good tone in the lower octave.

Thanks for suggesting this. So far, it's living up to its reputation.