Anyone playing Alan Copley's delrin low flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Anyone playing Alan Copley's delrin low flutes?

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has played one of Alan Copley's delrin low C or low Bflat flutes. I noticed that David Copley is now making a delrin Bflat without rings, and was wondering if they are collaborating. Of course David's flutes have a great reputation and I really liked the delrin keyless D that I owned for a while.
"Luck is important"
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Anyone playing Alan Copley's delrin low flutes?

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

Hi All,

I heard from Alan himself, and he indicated that he is making the bflat flutes listed on his father's (David's) website. So, I would love to hear about your experience with Alan's bflat flutes. Thanks.
"Luck is important"
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I contacted Alan a couple years ago when David had a C flute for sale to ask a bunch of questions, and then by the time I finally decided to buy it (just a few hours later), it was already sold. So I ordered a new one, paid it that evening, and had the flute in hand (made from scratch, too) one week later. Delrin, no rings, no tuning slide, but an extended thinned tenon that works pretty well for small adjustments. It's definitely worth the price, especially with that wait time!
tstermitz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tstermitz »

I did get the opportunity to briefly play one of Alan's delrin flutes. It was a handsome gray color, with some very subtle coloring in the logo.

I found the tone especially in the low register strong and easy to create, despite the fact that it usually takes me some time to adapt to a new flute.