Wood Case Source?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Wood Case Source?

Post by Ben Shaffer »

So Ive got a Music Morneaux 2 Piece Rosewood Flute. The Flute currently resides in a plastic Brush and Pencil Case from Micheal's
I'd like to get a nicer wood case to hold it. The Maker to the best of my knowledge does not offer any Wood Cases for these Flutes The longer piece of the Flute is around 16 inches. Ive actually bought several Wood Cases for 3 piece Flutes I've owned off eBay . They were I think made in Pakistan, decently made and I don't think I paid more than $25 or so plus shipping. I did see one on eBay for a 2 piece Flute awhile back but it was pretty expensive. I don't want to use a gun case either.Martin Doyle was able to get a relly nice Leather Case for 2 piece Flutes, but hasn't been able to get them recently
Anyone know where I might get one of these Pakistan made wood Cases for my 2 piece Flute for not a lot of money? I don't need a Custom made case or want to spend a lot of money as I'm on SS and a Pension :poke:

just now made an offer here for $60( listed at $99)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302875326825?V ... fresh=true
Steve Bliven

Re: Wood Case Source?

Post by Steve Bliven »

McNeela makes a very solid plastic case for flutes with spaces for whistles also. The longer of the two spaces is 15 1/4" (and perhaps could be trimmed to a bit larger). I believe it's what Martin Doyle is currently using (at least what he was using a couple of years back). See https://mcneelamusic.com/wind/flutes/fl ... hard-case/. They periodically go on sale if you keep your eyes out or get on their mailing list.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Ben Shaffer wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:57 pm Anyone know where I might get one of these Pakistan made wood Cases for my 2 piece Flute for not a lot of money? I don't need a Custom made case or want to spend a lot of money as I'm on SS and a Pension :poke:

The case on eBay is usually sold for less with a Pakistani flute in it.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

kkrell wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:18 pm
Ben Shaffer wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:57 pm Anyone know where I might get one of these Pakistan made wood Cases for my 2 piece Flute for not a lot of money? I don't need a Custom made case or want to spend a lot of money as I'm on SS and a Pension :poke:

The case on eBay is usually sold for less with a Pakistani flute in it.
Ha, Don't think I haven't noticed that Kevin! The ones I've seen all seem to contain 3 piece presumably Pakistan Flutes :D
That said I'll do a deeper search on eBay!
I'll do a lowest price first and see what turns up :thumbsup:
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Since the flute is keyless, it should easily fit it into a French-style Boehm case - leather wrapped with velvet on the inside. They are very nice.

I picked up a used one with a Cavallaro sheepskin case. Not as cheap as you are thinking, but I think more elegant than wood.
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

tstermitz wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:32 pm Since the flute is keyless, it should easily fit it into a French-style Boehm case - leather wrapped with velvet on the inside. They are very nice.

I picked up a used one with a Cavallaro sheepskin case. Not as cheap as you are thinking, but I think more elegant than wood.
I've thought of this. So are we talking about the standard Case that comes with every Boehm Flute or are those the ones a little slimmer with rounded edges? I do see those Cases on eBay. So you think the interior of the Case would be at least 16 inches? I guess you would need to fabricate the interior to fit the 2 piece Wood Flute. Ive never done this. I do remember years ago buying A Ralph Sweet 4 key Flute and that Flute came in a Boehm Flute case.. I asked Ralph were he got that Case. He said he redid the interior and said what a pain in the Ass it was to do that :D
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Well, you've got the Protec cases, which are cheap, and you can cut-open the foam to make space.

Our Irish Flutes have wider tubes than Boehm flutes, so you would need to cut or rearrange the interior. I just re-tried the french-style case I bought, and the slots aren't wide enough to fit my one-key Firth-Pond.

Anyway: here is an example; not as elegant as the french cases, but look at the nice cover, and it has a piccolo slot for your whistles:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374633814550

This is what I'm thinking of. Search eBay for french flute case. It's in crazy-good condition, for about the price of the latches!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125864124828
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I see that McNeela Instruments has a wood case for $44 that may work for me and I don't think I would need to do any modifications. Ive got a query into them asking what the length of the longest slot. Also asked what mailing would be to my address

And thanks everyone for the suggestions! :)