Lessons in my sleep

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Lessons in my sleep

Post by jim stone »

I dreamed I was in Ireland on a rainy day. I stepped into a pub to get out of the rain. It was empty except for four musicians, sitting on wooden chairs, having a session. They looked to be about 12 years old. They were playing wooden flutes of a sort I've never seen. The music was quieter than what I'm used to and more slow, but the phrasing was wonderfully nuanced in a way I've never heard before. They seemed shy. I listened raptly until they stopped. Then one of them said to me quietly 'This way.' I immediately woke up feeling happy, rolled out of bed and found a flute and played it as best I could as they had been playing. I appear to be getting flute lessons from elves.
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Lessons in my sleep

Post by plunk111 »

Woulda been better if you woke up with the taste of Guinness in your mouth!!! :)

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Maybe tonight!
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

That's better than the dream I had where I opened my flute case and there were huge cracks in the blackwood!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Kirk B wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:10 pm That's better than the dream I had where I opened my flute case and there were huge cracks in the blackwood!
Mine crumbled apart in my hands, in big dry flakes. The sinking feeling almost need not be mentioned.

Jim, OTOH, knows he has the Good People visiting him (and for tunes, no less) so he, at least, has the chance to navigate any danger. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The dream has stayed with me and influenced my playing, especially of my Olwell Pratten. I've always tried to honk on it. Now I'm playing it gently, more sweetly, hitting the notes spot on. Hope the elves come back!
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:22 pm Mine crumbled apart in my hands, in big dry flakes. The sinking feeling almost need not be mentioned.
That's harsh Nano. What did you eat/drink/smoke before going to bed that night? :lol:
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

That's great Jim --
You must be living right. those were The Tuatha de Danann, who used their magic to become the Sidhe (pronounced Shee) –aka the “fairies”, or the “wee folk. If you;re lucky they'll come again.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Kirk B wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:29 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:22 pm Mine crumbled apart in my hands, in big dry flakes. The sinking feeling almost need not be mentioned.
That's harsh Nano. What did you eat/drink/smoke before going to bed that night? :lol:
Just the usual ... :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician