Olivewood

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gbyrne
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Re: Olivewood- allergies?

Post by gbyrne »

Anybody know if Olivewood is one of the contact allergy family?

I’m allergic to Blackwood, cocus, cocobolo and ebony. As a result my D flute has to have silver lip plate.

But a boxwood head on my Eb doesn’t trigger the redness, tingling, rash and breakdown in epidermis. Wondering if Olivewood likewise non allergenic.
Flutern
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: Olivewood- allergies?

Post by Flutern »

gbyrne wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:52 pm Anybody know if Olivewood is one of the contact allergy family?

I’m allergic to Blackwood, cocus, cocobolo and ebony. As a result my D flute has to have silver lip plate.

But a boxwood head on my Eb doesn’t trigger the redness, tingling, rash and breakdown in epidermis. Wondering if Olivewood likewise non allergenic.
Unfortunately it is a sensitizer. I'm also allergic to blackwood and cocus and reacted to olivewood.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
birdman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Olivewood

Post by birdman »

Check out the Windward Flutes website - some info and pics there of their African Olivewood flutes. Forbes and Yola (Christie) may even tell you more if you contact them. They are awfully nice folks to deal with.
patience, young grasshopper