Flute Plethora Road Trip to Northern Colorado

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Flute Plethora Road Trip to Northern Colorado

Post by tstermitz »

Do you ever wish you could walk into a Flute store and try five or ten different flutes and walk home with your favorite?

I'm calling your attention to the fact that there are quite a few really great flutes available at this moment at the Irish Flute Store from highly regarded flute makers including: John Gallagher, Chris Norman, Solen Lesouef, Casey Burns, Peter Noy, Sam Murray.

On the antique front the IFS also has several antique 8-key flutes: two Rudall & Rose flutes, a Butler and a French Martin Freres.

Not to mention that I'm selling my large-holed Rudall & Rose, which makes three antique R&Rs within a half hour drive.

Somebody please buy the Gallagher soon because my credit card is trying to jump out of my pocket despite being heavily laden!
Last edited by tstermitz on Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conical bore

Re: Flute Plethora Road Trip to Northern Colorado

Post by Conical bore »

I've never been to the Irish Flute Store in person, my credit card would be leaping out of my wallet too. But I did buy my two current main flutes there online -- an 8-key Peter Noy and 6-key low Bb LeHart. I also sold my keyless Windward there several years ago. A fine place to do business, especially if like me you're getting to an age where long waiting lists are starting to get problematic and used flutes are attractive for the instant gratification factor.

I sometimes feel guilty about not supporting makers of new flutes, but a healthy used market that doesn't have the risks of Ebay is a good thing for this niche area of the ITM flute world.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Conical bore wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:34 am I sometimes feel guilty about not supporting makers of new flutes, but a healthy used market that doesn't have the risks of Ebay is a good thing for this niche area of the ITM flute world.
Noble sentiments, Conical Bore, but you should not feel the least bit guilty. Let's imagine a case of sweet young Miss who has been successfully playing whistle, and decides to take up flute. The flute elders at her session convince her she needs a Prattens, because that's what they all play. They overlook the fact that they are hulking 6 foot monsters, with barrel chests, enormous hand-spans and big fat fingers, and she is a diminutive elf, with tiny hands and not a lot of chest capacity. So she buys a Prattens.

And, to avoid bringing in other makers who may not enjoy being part of our discussion, let's assume she buys a McGee Prattens!

She struggles, and she struggles and she struggles and she struggles. And she blames herself. She's obviously a crap flute player. And about a year later, as she still struggles and still blames, a chap shows up at her session with a GLP (sorry - shorthand for a McGee flutes Grey Larsen Preferred. Small bore, small holes. The other end of my range from the Prattens.) Looking at the finger holes, the Prattens Elders make some snide comments about it, but she sweetly asks the owner if she can try it out. He quickly obliges, and goes on to play his other flute. Um, let's say a McGee Rudall 5088.

Suddenly she's entranced. It's like magic in her hands. Everything she asks it to do it does. She sets it down for a minute and tries her Prattens again. Too big. Back to the GLP - just right. OK, she needs one.

But what to do with the Prattens? On her salary, she can't just keep acquiring flutes. The old one has to go before the new one replaces it. This is where we need an ecosystem to move flutes along until they find their right home. Someone will love that Prattens, we just have to find that person. And that's why an organised, knowledgeable, safe and reliable second-hand market such as the Irish Flute Store is essential, not just for players, but for makers too. We makers do our best to match players and models, but we're not on site. There's a limit to what we can discern and advise. Especially if the purchaser is a newby and doesn't appreciate the differences bores and fingerholes bring.

I've often said: there is no "best" flute. There is the flute that suits you best. It's your job to find it. A good second-hand market will help you find that flute.

P.S. As an unapologetic romantic, I'm hoping the young Miss and the visiting flute player chap exchanged phone numbers and stayed in touch. And a relationship grew. And, that any minute now, we're going to get an update. Great, says Terry McGee the flute maker. Those kids are going to need flutes....
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Been a lot in Greeley, because my late sister lived there, but this all before the IFS existed. Done a good deal of business with it, buying and selling online. It's a positive boon to the fluting community, some lovely instruments pass through, Blayne is ever helpful.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I do wish that 9 key Gallagher in Olivewood wasn't so dang fine looking...I keep oogling it, which isn't good for my bank balance.

Eric
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Oh no, it's the boxwood keyless Rudall that's the temptress...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.