Help with flute identification

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fintano
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Help with flute identification

Post by fintano »

I'm hoping to find the maker of the flute shown below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fintano/52720655305/

(I guess I don't know how to embed images.)

To the best of my knowledge, it was sold at Hobgoblin Music in Colma, California, some time probably in the late 1980s.

As can be seen in the picture, it is a somewhat unusual design, using rubber O-rings for the joints rather than cork or threading.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Help with flute identification

Post by Jayhawk »

The O rings makes this really interesting. I know Rod Cameron made baroque style flutes in the past, but I'm not sure he ever sold through Hobgoblin. Is it in tune? Does in play A=440 and is just an Irish flute looking like a baroque flute?

Hopefully someone else will have seen one of these in the past.

Eric

PS - I seem to have a vague memory of some flute maker who made flutes looking like this...the brand/maker may have started with an "I" (capital I). However, I think they were discussed in the VERY early years of C&F.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I have seen one that, from memory, looked a lot like that. It was bought in the mid 1980s from Hobgoblin in the UK. The brand was Camac who I think may be the French company now, it seems, mainly making harps. I quick image search didn't turn up any photos but there was a Camac bombarde with similar turning.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Camac...that was it! I have no clue why I thought it started with "i". I've been searching around for Cahusic or something similar, but those are worth a bit more since they were made a few hundred years ago and Google didn't suggest any other name.

Here is a Google hit and looks like David nailed it: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -512048019
david_h

Post by david_h »

Jayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:22 amHere is a Google hit and looks like David nailed it: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -512048019
Yes that's it. It's sound wasn't very "Irlandaise" and it's owner changed to something from a more recent 'Irish flute' maker
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The brand was Camac who I think may be the French company now, it seems, mainly making harps. I quick image search didn't turn up any photos but there was a Camac bombarde with similar turning.
Camac was indeed French and, during the seventies, was selling an amazingly wide range of 'folk' instruments : harps, dulcimer, epinettes, bowed psalter, whistles, bagpipes, bombardes, hurdy gurdies etc etc. It wasn't particularly great quality but sort of worked.

I still have a whistle and a bombarde by them, that haven't seen use for decades.
My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:39 am

I still have a whistle and a bombarde by them, that haven't seen use for decades.
Not many pipers admit to having a bombarde :D . Is this some secret fetish of yours? :o
Practising the bombarde would be ene way to scare off the cattle :)
fintano

Post by fintano »

That definitely seems to be it. My flute didn't come with any packaging or paperwork showing the maker.

Here's another photo of one.
http://ancientpoint.com/inf/126179-inte ... cienn.html

However there seem to be very few photos of them.

I'm a bit surprised at the source, but that would explain the unusual design. The diameter is noticeably less than my other flutes.

It had a nice tone, not especially loud. It was in tune with itself at 440 Hz. All you could ask for in an inexpensive instrument.

It is not playable at present, because the top joint is sticking. The last time I had it together, a few years ago, I had to put it in a vice to get it apart again.

I was idly wondering whether I could address that situation, because it is just sitting around, and there are some situations when it would be nice to have a quiet instrument.

Knowing the maker is a good first step.

Thank you all for your help.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yes, Camac. Dreadful things. That turned embouchure platform is terribly uncomfortable, not wide enough for the average face. I tried them in music shops in GB in the late 70s and later knew a couple of people who owned them and I got to try them again. They're better than the typical Pakistani table leg, but not worth what they cost back in the day. Camac made similarly unsuccessful Bb and A whistles.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
fintano

Post by fintano »

I found it to be an OK flute back in the day. Not great but OK. I didn't pay a whole lot for it. It was certainly better than the Pakistani flutes,that may have been cheaper, but each note presented its own individual problems.

I think that Camac whistles are still available, but I don't know anything about them.