Whistle and flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
The Danish Piper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Whistle and flute

Post by The Danish Piper »

Hi everyone

How many whistleplayers also play the Irish flute?
Is the flute somewhat easy to handle, when you can play the whistle?

Best regards.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
bigsciota

Re: Whistle and flute

Post by bigsciota »

I'd say most if not all Irish flute players play or have played whistle at some point. However, the flute is a very different beast despite sharing the same fingerings. If you already play whistle, it'll probably be easier to learn flute than, say, concertina or banjo. But there's still a steep learning curve for your embouchure and grip, as well as the overall feel of how your fingers move in those same fingerings because of the large scale. I play both, and I play tunes very differently on whistle and flute. If I try to play my flute like a whistle or my whistle like a flute they sound terrible. You have to adapt your playing style to each individual instrument.

However, I will say that after playing whistle for a while, flute felt like a natural thing to pick up and try. I suspect most whistle players end up trying out either flute or pipes at some point, at the very least out of sheer curiosity. If you buy used you can sell it on again if you don't like it and not lose very much money, if any!
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I play both. I expect most Irish flute players were whistlers first, with perhaps a minority coming directly to it from Böhm flute.

Playing whistle will help immensely with knowing where the notes are and how to play tunes, as the fingering is the same.

However, whistle will not help at all with getting used to how to blow a flute or form one’s embouchure. Learning to hold it will also require some adjustment from how one holds a whistles.

The flute will not be easy to handle when you first start, because there are still going to be challenges that are not present on whistle. That being said, you’ll at least already have some tunes under your fingers, so it will simplify that aspect a bit.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

The flute is IMHO a much more difficult instrument. Learning to manage your breath, and when to breath effectively, and developing a good embouchure are all very challenging. The barriers to entry are much lower with a whistle. Of course it's hard to be a good musician on any instrument
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I think that the flute is harder to play (embouchure, amount of air...), but I think that the whistle is much more difficult to make sound good! I gave up the whistle to save my marriage :o
"Luck is important"
The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years

bigsciota wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:22 pm I'd say most if not all Irish flute players play or have played whistle at some point. However, the flute is a very different beast despite sharing the same fingerings.

However, I will say that after playing whistle for a while, flute felt like a natural thing to pick up and try.
Sirchronique wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:33 pm Playing whistle will help immensely with knowing where the notes are and how to play tunes, as the fingering is the same.

However, whistle will not help at all with getting used to how to blow a flute or form one’s embouchure. Learning to hold it will also require some adjustment from how one holds a whistles.
Thank for the replies. I see the point with the same fingering as the one big advantage.
Currently I play the low whistle, an have only done so for 1,5 years. So at some point in the future, the flute could be a good addition.
Compared to the whistle, does the flute has wider range of scale? More like 2 - 2.5 octaves?
Playing music since 2006
The Danish Piper

Jose' Scotte' Este' wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:51 pm I think that the flute is harder to play (embouchure, amount of air...), but I think that the whistle is much more difficult to make sound good! I gave up the whistle to save my marriage :o
Intetesting point about the sound.
Well, happy wife, happy life :D
Playing music since 2006
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

People have been emphasizing the difficulties of developing the embouchure, which is true. Contrary to José, I would say that air requirements are easy if you do it correctly. But I agree with him that the whistle is hard to play well.

A good flute will easily play 2 1/2 octaves from low C/C# to high G, although for ITM you will normally need only D through B.

However, the fingering and the articulations you already know on whistle go a long way to playing the flute with good rhythm & dynamics, and I dare say, authenticity.

Not to be discouraging:
  • First month: Barely successful.
  • Second month: Able to play D through B - almost two octaves.
  • Fourth month: Able to knock out any tune you can play on the whistle, but inconsistent embouchure
  • Eighth month: Less sore fingers in various places, less hyper-ventilation, still inconsistent embouchure
  • Fifth year... Ah, finally the embouchure becomes consistent and controllable.
To speed the embouchure training up, get a good teacher at the beginning, and spend an exceedingly large amount of time daily training your lips: long-tones, harmonics, playing as softly as possible in the third register
Average Whistler
Tell us something.: Recovering Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder sufferer. Started too late in life to be great, but good enough for my own enjoyment. Recently started learning Irish flute.

Post by Average Whistler »

I have played whistle for several years, and decided to try the flute about 8 months ago, so perhaps my story will help.
  • Embouchure is the real education, not the fingerings.
  • Knowing the fingerings is one less thing to learn, and will help you get some tunes (such as they are) out of the flute quickly, and keep you encouraged as you develop your embouchure.
  • Buy a decent flute. I bought a couple cheap flutes (a PVC and a Dixon student flute) because I was worried I wouldn't be able to play the flute and I didn't want to end up with a expensive unused flute if I quit. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy, as they were very difficult to play and I stopped. I lost several months on those instruments.
  • I bought a better (but not terribly expensive) flute, received it a couple weeks ago, and noticed immediate improvement. Playing daily for short periods and getting decent tone.
  • I am not bothering with ornaments... I am working solely on embouchure while playing tunes I learned on the whistle
Anyway, it's a great instrument and if you buy a decent flute you will be able to get immediate results and have a lot of fun. Did I mention embouchure?

AW
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I came at flute backwards; the sequence was

Highland bagpipes > Uilleann pipes > flute.

So in learning flute I brought no preconceptions from the whistle, Boehm flute, Recorder, Clarinet, Sax, Native American flute, or any other such thing.

For me the flute requires very little air; the hardest-blowing flute being on a 1-10 scale (one being breathing normally, 10 being blowing a strong Highland pipe) around 2 or 3.

Beginners always overblow flutes anyway.

It's all about countless hours of practice, for myself in the mirror. Because any time my tone was, even for a moment, more focused I would memorise exactly how I had done it, and strive to play that way from now on. Thus step by step I developed a good tone.

I also took a few lessons from a professional flute teacher. Yes she played Boehm! But flutes are flutes, and focus is focus, and believe me a good flute teacher knows far more about tone production than you do. If you do what the teacher says you'll soon have a more focused embouchure, which all good things flow from: volume, clarity, flexibility, efficiency.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
The Danish Piper

I really enjoy all of those replies. It gives me a better understanding of the flute, conpared to the whistle.

My background is somewhat like Pancelticpiper.
My "timeline" is:
Highland bagpipes - Smallpipes - Medieval bagpipes - Whistle

I really enjoy playing whistle and is only about 1,5 years into that. So I still have a lot of work there :)
I think I wille take up the flute at some point, later on.
Playing music since 2006
KrisS
Tell us something.: I play trad whistle, played classical flute in the past, and am looking to start playing trad flute.

Post by KrisS »

This is a helpful discussion. I went from classical Boehm flute to whistle, and now I'm in the market for an Irish flute. It's been so long since I played my Boehm flute seriously that I suspect I'll need to rebuild my embouchure from square one.

I appreciate the bit about bit about the struggles of starting on a lower end instrument. Confirms a decision I've already made to start with a decent one. I did the low-end start with a whistle "to see if I was going to stick with it before investing," and I was shocked at how much easier a good whistle is to play when I got one. I don't need my instrument working against me so am trying not to make the same mistake with the flute!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I appreciate the bit about bit about the struggles of starting on a lower end instrument. Confirms a decision I've already made to start with a decent one. I did the low-end start with a whistle "to see if I was going to stick with it before investing," and I was shocked at how much easier a good whistle is to play when I got one.

You have to be careful there with the assumptions. I think you will find a lot of experienced whistlers who will tell you the easiest, and often their preferred choice of instrument, will be the cheap whistle beginners feel that 'works against them'.
On the other hand a good few top range flutes require a very focused, strong embouchure, that is well beyond the reach of relative beginners, to play to their full potential.
My brain hurts

The Danish Piper

Mr.Gumby wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:20 pm
You have to be careful there with the assumptions. I think you will find a lot of experienced whistlers who will tell you the easiest, and often their preferred choice of instrument, will be the cheap whistle beginners feel that 'works against them'.
On the other hand a good few top range flutes require a very focused, strong embouchure, that is well beyond the reach of relative beginners, to play to their full potential.
Good point.
From what I hear, it is very much a "feeling thing"
Too feel the "in-put " vs "out-put " regarding the blowing the whistle.
And ofcause the embouchure of the flute. Which is a chapter in itself.
Playing music since 2006
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Danish Piper wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:31 pm And ofcause the embouchure of the flute. Which is a chapter in itself.
More like a library, I'd say.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician