Fingering chart for 6 keys Irish flute, please.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gerardo1000

Fingering chart for 6 keys Irish flute, please.

Post by gerardo1000 »

I am new to the 6 keys Irish flute and I wonder if some forum member can provide me with a clear and reliable fingering chart for this kind of flute? Thank you!
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Fingering chart for 6 keys Irish flute, please.

Post by tstermitz »

Same as the 8-key flute, minus the bottom C/C# keys.

There are a bunch of fingering charts listed up above, and the first two registers are fairly consistent. It is true that on any particular flute you might need to make some slight adjustments, or add some venting for some notes, but you'll have to discover that yourself.

I would recommend using the recommended antique 8-key fingerings, although most Irish musicians don't bother with the Eb/D# vent. My point is that doing it "correctly" from the start avoids re-training your fingers later.
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

Thank you, tstermitz. Unfortunately I looked at the "Fingering Chart list" post and unfortunately most of the links are not active anymore.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

There are fingering charts on Terry McGee's web site. I'm posting the header page because there is a ton of useful info there, just scroll down to find the 6-key chart: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

This is great, thank you so much!
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I guess that post/those posts should be updated or removed.

This is the most dependable fingering chart I've found for my antique flute. It shows variations, and provides preferences or disclaimers for some of the fingering.

http://www.oldflutes.com/charts/simple/index.htm
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Tom Aebi also has some nice fingering charts for different models on his new website (scroll down):
https://wooden-flute.com/
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

Thank you!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've just checked and so far as I can tell *ALL* the links in the OP of the Fingering Chart sticky are functional.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

jemtheflute wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:01 am I've just checked and so far as I can tell *ALL* the links in the OP of the Fingering Chart sticky are functional.
The box.com ones are (still) not working for me on Firefox or Chromium under Debian Linux. Browser just sits there with a blank screen. No message, nothing.

OK with Safari on iOS. I have just started exploring the 3rd octave so very useful thank you.