Flutomat Help for E3 Hijaz Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LyreLyre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need some help with calculating finger hole placement for a low PVC flute. While I'm at it, there's likely a lot I can learn here.

Flutomat Help for E3 Hijaz Flute

Post by LyreLyre »

Hello all,

I am a longtime dabbler with tinwhistles and traditional flutes. I spend a bunch of time with my shakuhachi tuned side-blown bamboo flute from Erik the Flutemaker.

I am also fairly handy, and enjoy making things. I have made several NA flutes from Sch 40 PVC using NAFlutomat for tuning.

I am currently making a 3/4" Sch 40 PVC flute meant to be tuned to the Hijaz scale, the bell note is E3 (~161hz). However, the PVC pipe flute calculator on anycalculator only allows a selection down to E4(~329hz).

I have the measurements for E4, will drilling to those measurements result in the appropriate scale, or will the calculations assuming that it begins on E4 throw off my sound?

Is there another, better online flute measurement program I am unaware of?

Thank you very much, and I apologize if this is a basic question. As stated, this is the first flute I am making that does not have the root note selectable on the site I use.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Flutomat Help for E3 Hijaz Flute

Post by Tunborough »

Welcome to Chiff and Fipple.

WIDesigner, https://github.com/edwardkort/WWIDesigner/wiki, has a NAF model and allows you to specify your own tuning files that link your chosen fingerings to your chosen pitches. It isn't as easy to use as Flutomat, but it can handle just about any instrument geometry and tuning that you're likely to ask of it.

I don't think any simple scaling of an E4 design down to E3 will work out well.
LyreLyre
Tell us something.: I need some help with calculating finger hole placement for a low PVC flute. While I'm at it, there's likely a lot I can learn here.

Post by LyreLyre »

Tunborough wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:29 pm Welcome to Chiff and Fipple.

WIDesigner, https://github.com/edwardkort/WWIDesigner/wiki, has a NAF model and allows you to specify your own tuning files that link your chosen fingerings to your chosen pitches. It isn't as easy to use as Flutomat, but it can handle just about any instrument geometry and tuning that you're likely to ask of it.

I don't think any simple scaling of an E4 design down to E3 will work out well.
Thank you for the welcome!

Foolishly, when I set out to make this instrument, which is an odd hybrid flute/whistle, I thought it would be as simple as using the Flutomat. However, if I must download some zips off of github and learn how to make a config file for the program... I guess that's what I have to do. I love the E3 root note on this and really want to see it come to life as a functional instrument.

Looks like I've got some YouTube tutorials to view.

Edit: Initial experiments are not promising, haha. I created a tuning file easily, but adjusting the instrument file itself to achieve that tuning is eluding me. There's unlabeled measurements on the sample files, and it's asking for measurements I don't know. I'm used to having inner diameter, wall thickness, and length... and that's it.

This'll be an education.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

LyreLyre wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:55 pmThere's unlabeled measurements on the sample files, and it's asking for measurements I don't know. I'm used to having inner diameter, wall thickness, and length... and that's it.
The Glossary may help clarify some of the instrument geometry terms. Let me know if there are any that you're still having trouble with.
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

I'm not a flute maker, but I have a lot of flutes. Isn't 3/4" bore going to be an incredibly narrow bore for that low of a flute? Even if doesn't immediately overblow past the first octave, it seems like the finger holes would be really far apart.

Just as an example, I have an E4 flute from this maker that is 1" bore and he won't go below F# with a 3/4" bore
http://www.turtlemoundflutes.com/KnockAboutFlutes.htm