Recommended case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Recommended case

Post by Sirchronique »

For a long time I have kept an Oak C whistle in my car to play during my lunch breaks at work, however I would like to be able to play flute during my breaks. I don’t want to leave my Delrin Baubet in my car and subject to our drastically shifting temperatures here, however, as it cost me a good bit more than my $10 Oak car whistle.

I would like to just leave my flute in my desk drawer and then take it out with me when I leave for lunch. I don’t really want to walk into work carrying a fully assembled flute, as that would look weird and I don’t want to be pestered with questions about it, so I am looking for a cheap solution as a case for my flute. As it is delrin, my only requirement is that it is a small case that holds my flute steadily and securely to prevent it from jostling around. I work at a high school/junior high school in the US, so using a firearms case for it would be out of the question.

I could of course buy a wooden box and line the inside with foam, but I am lazy (though it may come to that).

Are there any plain, small, readily made, and inexpensive cases that could store my disassembled flute for easy transport in and out of work? It is keyless and based on an R&R, so it has those general proportions, and I would like to disassemble it into four parts and carry it in as small of a case as possible. I am hoping to find something that doesn’t cost much, as this is the only time I would keep that particular flute in a case, and it is just for the purpose of inconspicuous transport.

Any recommendations for a small box/case I could order?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Recommended case

Post by Mr.Gumby »

s. I don’t want to leave my Delrin Baubet in my car and subject to our drastically shifting temperatures here
My first reaction would be to wonder if it matters much, it's delrin. But I may be wrong.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Pistol cases — unless that would upset security.

For my Delrin Baubet, I use an old woolen sock....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:58 am
s. I don’t want to leave my Delrin Baubet in my car and subject to our drastically shifting temperatures here
My first reaction would be to wonder if it matters much, it's delrin. But I may be wrong.
It would probably be okay, but we do have both extreme heat and extreme cold where I live, and the temperature often shifts rapidly. I used to keep a conical plastic Dixon low D in my car years ago, and it developed a weird cracked look on the surface. This flute has wide rings on it, and I don’t know if that would add further stress during intense temperature shifts.

Although this is my backup/travel/camping flute, I like this flute a lot and wouldn’t want to risk it, as it’s quite nice.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I know. But isn't that why people get delrin flutes? Close to indestructible.

While gun/camera etc cases are readily available and practical, I don't fancy them much. Too much plastic, for one. The sock idea occurred to me, a late friend used to keep a uilleann pipes chanter in one. Perhaps a roll would suit, cloth, leather, towel (if you want cheap).
There's some stuff on Etsy but not exactly cheap. You may nearly buy a cheap Pakistani flute, bin the glute and use the case. You won't be the first to go that route.
Art/drawing tubes, if you find the right length, are a good,chesp carrying/storage solution as well.

I keep a C flute in a hardwood case, but that's a different story.
My brain hurts

Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

A Pringles Cheese and Onion crisps tube may work.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I bought a canvas tool roll on Etsy. They come in various sizes. Light, easy
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I like the idea of a long tube, spray paint a wrapping paper tube, and fill it with a roll of foam rubber.

My favorite flute roll is the classic Cavallaro roll with the (fake) sheepskin on the inside. There are some imitators, but the original is the best. Check eBay or Irish Flute Store.

Finally, sBay has some really cheap flute cases pre-formed for silver flutes. A keyless would fit just fine in there, and as a bonus you get some insulation.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

On the UIE page KKrell is selling a Cochran flute. Note the case in the image forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=113994. Looks like an art supply (paint brush?) case. Glue in a couple of pieces of spongy material to keep the flute in place and there you go...

[Or buy KKrell's flute, keep the case and send me the flute...]

Best wishes.

Steve
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The reason not to leave a Delrin flute in the car is not temperature, but risk of theft.

Delrin keyless flutes don't need much physical protection. Pencil case, gun case, flute roll, sock, all are suitable.

I like the Cavallaro cases (discontinued by that manufacturer) if you can find one used of the right size. Substitutes are Canzonet. A 3-or 4-slot of appropriate length will do. May be referred to as a recorder roll.

https://www.canzonet.net/product/five-slot-flute-roll/
http://www.prescottworkshop.com/rolls.html

Gun case (Doskocil, now Plano) I use for most Rudall-style flutes:
https://amazon.com/dp/B0014VXJY8

Firm-sided case for Beohm flute:
Protec 308B (B-foot) - variety of models. Cats available in other colors.
https://amazon.com/dp/B0002F797A
Harder shell version: https://amazon.com/dp/B07PDTPFTX

Pencil Case from Art Supply store, such as Michael's or Jo-Anns' (ArtBin or Artist's Loft brands). Artist's Loft offers a size long enough for a one-piece Pratten center section.

Sock: https://amazon.com/dp/B004QJOC00

All the best,

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Edited to correct C&F link
Steve Bliven wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:19 pm On the UIE page KKrell is selling a Cochran flute. Note the case in the image viewtopic.php?f=35&t=113994. Looks like an art supply (paint brush?) case. Glue in a couple of pieces of spongy material to keep the flute in place and there you go...

[Or buy KKrell's flute, keep the case and send me the flute...]

Best wishes.

Steve
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm on team PB+J...canvas tool roll for a keyless flute. Same principal as the much nicer cavallero rolls but oh so very much cheaper. That said, I carried a pistol case into a Federal building for 22 years without incident (I had x-ray machines to go through and Homeland Security with M16s onsite...I did have to open the case a few times but that's because a flute looks like a pipe bomb to those security screening machines). Band/bar stickers do wonders to making a pistol case look like an instrument case.

I would never again keep a delrin flute in a car in the USA in the summer. With temps in a car around/above 134 Fahrenheit in summer, glue for corked joints tends to fail rather easily and if there is a cork in the headjoint it can shrink down enough to slide down and cover your embouchure...leaving you wondering why no sound is coming out of your flute until you look down and see the cork staring back up at you (this happened to me once after leaving my Seery delrin in the car in summer (despite windows being open) too often while out cleaning stables over a several week period.

I'm guessing it's 100% safe to leave your delrin flute in a car in Ireland, though...the USA is just a helluva lot hotter.

Eric
piperJules
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by piperJules »

I have one like this for my blackwood keyless. Does the job.
https://hobgoblin.com/accessories/instr ... flute-bags

Jules
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

piperJules wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:21 am I have one like this for my blackwood keyless. Does the job.
https://hobgoblin.com/accessories/instr ... flute-bags

Jules
That'd work for sure, but will it work for a flute with tuning barrel and long foot? Just curious...looks like the one I had with my delrin Tony Dixon 3 piece flute many moons back, which was a great roll but it was a 3 piece flute with short foot and no tuning barrel.

Eric
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And the Von Huene Workshop in Massachusetts has recorder rolls similar to the Cavallero rolls mentioned earlier. May not fit the "inexpensive" criterion, but are there for your consideration (or for others who are fans of this kind of protection). As I said, a heavy wool sock works for my delrin keyless.

Best wishes.

Steve