Keyed Baubet Flute…

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JDLeedham
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Upon a stirring in one’s heart, to send it forth with the breath through an instrument where you can feel it stroke fingertips as it becomes sound... is truly like having the ability to make magic.

Keyed Baubet Flute…

Post by JDLeedham »

…any experiences or opinions to share? Especially interested in the delrin keyed and feedback on those made more recently vs those made earlier would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks all,
JD
Last edited by JDLeedham on Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liney Bear

Re: Keyed Baubet Flute…

Post by Liney Bear »

I played a friend's keyed delrin Baubet and it was a joy. It had low blocks and I could use piper's grip. I got a great bang off it.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I have a delrin Baubet that I got not long after taking up the flute some years ago. I don’t know about his recent ones or if they are different. It’s a really good instrument, though. I found it very easy to play, control, and get a powerful sound out of, even when I was a beginner on the flute. That remained my main flute until I got a Lesouef, but I still play the Baubet when I want to take a flute in an environment where I wouldn’t take a wooden flute.

I’d definitely recommend trying one out. The only downside is that it feels heavy to play for extended periods in comparison to a wooden flute, but I assume that would be a factor with any Delrin flute.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

I brought my Baubet keyed delrin a few years back. At the time Francois was not stamping his name on them.

Love it. I saw a comment recently rating theirs as 'loud' but not "a session conon". Not quite sure what they mean but I would say I've never felt any lack in my experience. More importantly it can be "reigned back' in order to not be too out of balance with other instruments, but has plenty to give when needed.

The tone and colour can be pretty lovely and also nicely flexible. It can be big and juicy. Out of interest I have been experimenting with emulating a player who uses a slightly older style of original Rudal Rose than the later larger holed models. He gets a lovely tone from it. Almost a "softer" more "buttery" tone than is often found, still full though. Kind of "softer" by stint of "softer edged" . For my Baubet this voice is not one of its " home" natural modes. It can be obtained but I find I need to use more "modified", "unusual" embouchure. I.M.E . having found the embouchure it can be fairly easily kept in that mode.

Different again , One "worship" piece of music I play is the Alpha and omega. There is a version on YouTube with sax backing. This sax was my inspiration in my setting. I wondered if I could get the depth of colour , tone , spirit, interest, fluidity as the sax. Fairly different to what I would often be aiming for. I think the answer was yes, others hearing it seem to react in appreciation of those qualities. Kind of surprised me too !
BTW if me signature tunes here still work they are before I got the Baubet.
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

gorjuswrex wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:02 pm
BTW if me signature tunes here still work they are before I got the Baubet.
I'm glad you pointed out those links to your tunes, they still work and I much like the playing, it is very lyrical.

The early Rudall flutes are a favourite sound, but I still have to make one that is near enough to be acceptable, the first one I tried is sort of there in places, enough to have me try to make a better one sometime.
JDLeedham
Tell us something.: Upon a stirring in one’s heart, to send it forth with the breath through an instrument where you can feel it stroke fingertips as it becomes sound... is truly like having the ability to make magic.

Post by JDLeedham »

Thanks all.
Last edited by JDLeedham on Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JDLeedham

Post by JDLeedham »

Liney Bear wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:33 pm I played a friend's keyed delrin Baubet and it was a joy. It had low blocks and I could use piper's grip. I got a great bang off it.
Thanks Liney Bear,
I never considered the pipers grip as a way to playing François's keyed flute, but as age and health are starting to interfere with my fingers, my RH ring finger is starting to default to that. This information is appreciated and useful.
Much thanks, Jd
Last edited by JDLeedham on Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDLeedham

Post by JDLeedham »

gorjuswrex wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:02 pm I saw a comment recently rating theirs as 'loud'…

The tone and colour can be pretty lovely and also nicely flexible. It can be big and juicy….

Different again…
Gorjuswrex,
Thank you so much for comprehensively sharing your experiences and observation with your keyed Baubet. You’ve certainly provided vivid imagery with your process of exploring your flute. It’s been valuable to me in understanding the intangible, yet important aspects of your instrument.

Can I trouble you further for your opinion on a more mundane and mechanical aspect of your flute, the keywork?
Best, Jd
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

The keys work well for me. They are also nicely made, in the style (shape) of Rudall Rose keys as they were at a certain period,maybe around the 1860's. Silver. I will try using them in a rapid vibrato action and report back.
JDLeedham

Post by JDLeedham »

gorjuswrex wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 pm The keys work well for me. They are also nicely made, in the style (shape) of Rudall Rose keys as they were at a certain period,maybe around the 1860's. Silver. I will try using them in a rapid vibrato action and report back.
Thanks Kevin,
Based on that, I now have a very good idea of the style of the keys. I appreciate and look forward to your impressions of the key action.

~JD
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Today I tried the ' vibrato ' action on the key and they worked well.
The G# pad did come loose from the key. So I re-seated
It. Good that it was at home when it happened. Not a fault of the flute, rather lack of servicing on my part. It is the first time a pad came loose in over ten years since I received it from Francois.
When I removed the key for reseating I could see:-

Spring is brass
There is a steel insert strip between the blocks for the spring to run on. You know what I mean I think
Inside the key cup there is a raised 'nipple'. I assume it is to help prevent any possible movement of the pad it's positional stability. The pads have a brown skin on them. The skin is gathered at the back of the pad in a ring shape forming a neat ring shape hole in the middle. That hole is the same diameter as the projecting 'nipple' in the cup. That nipple may well be reasonably common but I have not come across it before.
As would be expected the undersides of the touches of the keys have nicely cut cork buffers.
When I first got the flute the Fnat key didn't seem to be quite right compared to my previous flute. Probably seemed slightly flat and the pad seemed like it sat a little closer to the hole at one side than might have thought. Maybe a slight shading in pitch , but almost straight away it is easily corrected , if indeed it was shading a tad. Not an issue I would think. If it was for someone they could easily swop to a thinner pad, that is if it is shading at all.
If there are any other aspects of the keys you would like me to check please let me know.
BTW to the key cups are the deep dome type of shape not the flatter cups.