Adding keys to Forbes delrin flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aaronjw

Adding keys to Forbes delrin flute?

Post by Aaronjw »

I've owned a Forbes D flute for many years, and I love it, but I would love to have some more chromatic capabilities. I know there are some flute makers who add keys; has anyone ever had keys added to a Forbes? From what I've seen it is pretty expensive to have them added, which also makes me wonder if I'd be better off getting an M&E polymer 6 key since that costs way less than getting that many keys added to a flute, as far as I can tell. Is the tone quality significantly lower than the Forbes?
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Adding keys to Forbes delrin flute?

Post by Jayhawk »

I had a D# key added to a Walt Sweet flute, which is highly analogous. I sent it off to Maurice Reviol, I think it cost around $200 for the key, and shipping was like $50 or more...it's been a decade or more, though, but I do think the key plus shipping was around $250 USD. Maurice did a great job, btw...if you're willing to deal with the hassle of shipping to NZ. Super nice guy, too.

I like M&E's, but I have seen variability in them. One of the best flutes I ever had was his very first 8 key ebonite flute, which I foolishly sold quite some time ago. I have had another 8 key, a 6 key and two keyless ones. None were bad...all good, but a couple really just sang and were great. Another really nice guy...he and I corresponded for a few years quite some time ago.

If I were you, I'd get a 6 key M&E. Resale is usually easy since they are a gateway to keyed flutes for many folks and not that pricey. I think you'd pay a LOT more to get your Forbes keyed.

I hope this helps.

Eric
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Forbes flutes are in the Pratten style, right? Large holes.

Out of curiosity, whhowat is the middle C/C# tuning?

On large-holed flutes I have known (v. small sampling), these two notes have been problematic. C a little sharp and C# a little flat - or compromised in favor of one or another of the two notes. The C-key can help solve issues with those notes, so typically the original designer assumes or takes advantage of a C-key.

This wouldn't be the case with your Forbes, so If you add a C-key, would that help, or do you feel that it unnecessary?

On historic 8-Key flutes from the 19th Century, there are compromises like that in several places, in particular on the A and E notes, which are positioned for mortal hands to reach, but as a result they can be flat, weak or not very sonorous. Likewise, it is often recommended to open the F-Nat key to sharpen and make more resonant the F# note.

In other words, Rob may have achieved good compromises on his un-keyed flute. Will keys hurt or help anything?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I talked to Maurice about this issue, and he said if the person adding the keys knew what they were doing...adding keys doesn't impact the flute.

Eric