Suggestions for 8-key D flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flutern
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: Suggestions for 8-key D flutes

Post by Flutern »

kkrell wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:26 amWow, I'm surprised, but haven't seen his implementation. If you have a more complete version of his pricing (as of 2020 or beyond), I'd appreciate receiving a listing.
Here are a few photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAfCts . He apparently completely redesigned his Boehm foot joint to make this one, so this is his latest design. Tested and approved by Ivan Goff :thumbsup:

I don't have a complete price list, unfortunately. I only asked about 8-key flutes as that was what I was interested in.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It's interesting makers moving away from 8 keys back to only 6...I really like having the low C and C# keys myself. I have a Dave Copley 8 key delrin flute, and the C# speaks easily but I still struggle a bit with the low C, especially if it's a faster tune. Obviously, it was modern key pads not pewter low keys. In contrast, my Firth and Pond circa 1860 has pewter plugs and both the low C and C# speak quickly and perfectly...they're wonderful to use.

I'm getting the Olwell restored Wylde that was on the Irish Flute Store page today, and Blayne said it's low pewter plug keys also spoke effortlessly...I'll know more after the Postman drops by.

My only point being don't count out pewter keys on an antique flute working flawlessly.

Eric
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Congrats on the Wylde...

Having played a variety of antique 8-keyed flutes (and specifically the FP you have), I agree that the performance of low C/C# varies but can be very good. C# is often decent, even though the C is fluffy. I believe that this problem can be fixed by a competent & knowledgeable repair person, but working with getting the low C pewter pads working takes extra experience.

My favorite R&R is in like-new condition after getting cleaned & re-padded. The low C is very strong, once I achieved good embouchure control.

These are some of the issues you might face when you can't get a good low C.

Pewter plug not sealing. Some recommend a drop of oil, but that "shouldn't" be necessary - certainly not on your FP, nor on my good flutes. Pewter can be corroded/dirty, pewter can be out-of-round, pads might not align exactly right. I think Jon Cornia is putting the effort into learning how to replace the pewter pads, and that is going the extra mile that may be needed.

The C key touch needs to keep the C# key depressed so that both pads are sealing. I understand that this is fussy to get right.

Small leaks anywhere in the flute impact the low C more than other notes. Jay Ham worked on a boxwood 1-key flute of mine and persisted until he found all the small leaks. Check out Jon Cornia's frustration videos on FB, as he tries to find a sneaky leak.

Fingers need to stay sealed as you reach for the low C. I suspect my other favorite R&R with larger finger holes has some small leaks or my finger pads don't quite seal that makes the low C a little more difficult.

Embouchure control for the lowest notes is different or more difficult than the mid-range notes. This could be due to the embouchure cut or flute bore or resonance. It could be your own airstream. I have found that exercising and developing my embouchure in the 3rd register greatly improves my lowest notes.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Andre I'd suggest buying the eight-key Rudall & Rose flute now on done deal.ie that is for sale. It's a good price, and the seller is knowledgable and trustworthy. Also Ireland, like Spain, is a member of the European Union, so no problems with import duties, tax etc.

Sorry, just looked, and it's been sold I see now. Ok, well they do turn up now and then, and they are usually very fine flutes, especially after a repad. I play one as my main flute and I'm very happy with it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

There is a really nice sounding 8 key Alexander Liddle flute for sale over on the Irish Flute Marketplace on Facebook. Selling from Dublin.

Eric
JDLeedham
Tell us something.: Upon a stirring in one’s heart, to send it forth with the breath through an instrument where you can feel it stroke fingertips as it becomes sound... is truly like having the ability to make magic.

Post by JDLeedham »

Self-moderating a comment that I originally posted that is better suited to a DM.

All the best
JD