Questions about Thompson student flûte

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jimmy85
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello i Want to share our passion of whistle. I am a begginer. I am from France and i Want advices too about the whistle. Il sorry but i dont Know what Can i Say more than that :)

Questions about Thompson student flûte

Post by Jimmy85 »

Hello Everyone
Im Jimmy from France and i play and learn tin whistle. But now i Want to learn Irish flûte, and i looked on forums and net, différents makers.
I Saw Damian Thompson flutes and im interesting about the student Flûte with two extras body.
I talked with my trancher, and he said to me the derlin slide Can be fragile.
If someone Know this model and have expériences please Say to me :)
Thanks
Jim
bigsciota

Re: Questions about Thompson student flûte

Post by bigsciota »

I did a little video about the Thompson flute I bought here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_3iVXd3yE0

First off, I'd say if you're just learning you don't really need the extra bodies, a D flute is pretty much all you need. The Thompson flute is IMO an excellent one for a beginner, it's well-made and the price is definitely right. One thing I'll note is that I've found the embouchure and feel much more similar to other Rudall-style Irish flutes than some of the other flutes geared towards beginners that I've tried. It's not necessarily "easy to play" in that the embouchure isn't super forgiving, but to me at least that's a good thing for a beginner, since you'll be forced to learn good technique from the start (and it's not hard to play either). In terms of session playing, I mainly bought the set to take to sessions while traveling, so I can definitely recommend it there. In a bigger, louder session it's not quite as loud as the Lehart that I usually play, but few flutes are, and it certainly doesn't get drowned out.

As for the fragility of delrin, I don't know where that idea comes from, because if anything this flute is much less fragile than a comparable wooden flute. I'm pretty sure I could defend myself in a bar fight with it and then play a set of reels, not that I'm planning on testing that theory! To clarify, it doesn't have a "slide" really, it has a longer tenon that means you have room to tune.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Agree, certainly not fragile, & is a great flute, very suited to a beginner.

Another that I am more than happy with is the Tony Dixon 3 piece, (another delrin type).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Jimmy85
Tell us something.: Hello i Want to share our passion of whistle. I am a begginer. I am from France and i Want advices too about the whistle. Il sorry but i dont Know what Can i Say more than that :)

Post by Jimmy85 »

Ok i will buy them thanks again
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

bigsciota wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:41 am I did a little video about the Thompson flute I bought here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_3iVXd3yE0

:thumbsup:

Nice review, and to hear a straight playing of the flute. Rudall style flutes offer a lot of possibility, as well as some challenge (but not so much as to make them worth avoiding for any reason). That is to say that the ability to meet different levels of playing is there, but it just takes the effort it does to achieve those levels. Achieving near fully accurate tuning through range of embouchures/styles is known slightly difficult on originals, but modern versions seem to be close enough for that not to be a problem.