3d Printed 6 key flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rogervj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

3d Printed 6 key flute

Post by rogervj »

I just noticed this 3d printed 6 key flute at the Irish Flute Store: https://www.irishflutestore.com/collec ... rish-flute
Anyone try it yet?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: 3d Printed 6 key flute

Post by PB+J »

Casey Burns was very fired up about 3d resin printing a couple years ago--you can find the threads here. I don't know if hes given up on it or not.

I'm not opposed to idea in principle and would like to try one, Blayne didn't exactly do an extended demo of the one he has for sale...,
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

I think it's fabulous. 3D printing is coming of age. Not sure I understand by Blaine suddenly slathers on the reverb for the Bach though. Somewhat strange. I'd buy the eight key model when it's ready for sure. [But no, I have not tried it, but I really support the concept.] There seem to be two here with two quite different embouchure cuts.

Indeed:

http://www.galeonwhistles.com/keyed-flutes/

[I hope it's allowed to post such a link here.]
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

This looks like a good way to try a keyed flute before investing in the fairly high cost of a more traditional one.

When I got my first keyed flute I was never really sure that I *needed* keys, and it was a leap of faith to spend that much money on a keyed flute from a modern maker. It turned out that yes! I needed keys even more than I thought, because it led me to pick up some "difficult" tunes that I never would have tried on a keyless flute and they're great tunes.

That said, an $800 USD flute isn't exactly inexpensive. I suppose it's at a good price point if compared to the price of most synthetic keyless flutes since it's offering more capability, but I would have thought 3D printing would simplify the manufacturing enough to lower the cost. Of course first to market has an advantage, and the buyer is paying for the R&D to get to this point, so there's that.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I was hoping Blayne would do a bit more of a review...and the Bach reverb is a tad high. Still, it's promising and the price is in line with M&E flutes, which have started many a person down the keyed path. I'm assuming the bodies/embouchure/tone holes are all tweaked. If someone takes the leap, please do a review here C&F!

Eric
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

To disagree a bit with Conical Bore...

If you amortize a $3,000 keyed flute over a lifetime it is far cheaper than other hobbies like a digital camera, skiing, a computer, or an ever-upgrading cycle of cell phones!

Actually, you can buy a good (name-brand) keyed flute and then sell it recovering a good portion of the cost. If the cost of re-selling is 20%, then ownership of that $3k flute is only $600.

Of course, Jayhawk refuses to sell his flute, so it is more expensive if you insist on being buried with it!
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

tstermitz wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:51 pm If you amortize a $3,000 keyed flute over a lifetime it is far cheaper than other hobbies like a digital camera, skiing, a computer, or an ever-upgrading cycle of cell phones!
Oh, definitely! Even among musical instruments as a hobby, what we use is relatively inexpensive.

My Significant Other is a fiddler, she plays a custom instrument from a local maker that cost twice what I've ever spent on a fine handmade guitar, mandolin, or flute. And that's not even getting into the price of a decent bow. She also has a Yamaha grand piano. What we play is more affordable for sure, even in the pricier keyed versions.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

tstermitz wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:51 pm Of course, Jayhawk refuses to sell his flute, so it is more expensive if you insist on being buried with it!
I invoke the rule of "No Give Backs" Tom...I'm a happy camper and if I'm ever accidentally buried alive, I can use my Firth & Pond to dig my way out!

Eric
NylonFlute
Tell us something.: Classical singer and ex-violinist who recently fell in love with non-wood woodwinds. Currently trying to learn flute, whistle, recorder, ocarina, and shakuhachi.

Post by NylonFlute »

I have one. I ordered it directly from Andy at Galeon because I didn’t yet see them on the Irish Flute Store and I preferred the rounded rectangle embouchure. It took a little over two weeks to come from China to Canada, and I got it at the end of July.

So far I am very pleased with it and expect I won’t need another keyed flute for a while. The tone is very close to my Delrin Copley keyless, which is evidence that the main difference in tone is the player. I am still getting used to the keywork and to reliably finding the holes with my fingers given it has wider spacing, but I enjoy it. (My hands are quite small, but stretchy, and the Pratten turns out to be reasonable.) I like how light it is, and the elegance of the brass fittings.

The case is clear, with very clever locking slots for three joints (counting head joint and barrel as one). I was expecting close to the dimensions of a Boehm flute case, but it is markedly longer and wider. Andy’s instructions say that the white resin can discolour over time when exposed to sunlight, without affecting playability, and he includes an opaque cloth bag one can keep the case in to prevent it. However, I don’t think I would mind if the flute started turning from snow-white as it is now to an ivory shade.

I found that I needed to expose quite a bit more of the tuning slide than I do of the tenon on my Copley to get it into pitch when I tried working with a tuner, but that may be because I am a relative novice and may blow sharp, or maybe because of the humidity or temperature that day. Generally, it is nicely in tune with itself. I play it a little every day, as I also play other instruments and have, you know, a job and young children at a very demanding age. But I hope to gradually get to a place where I can realize its potential.

Overall, I like this instrument very much.

For someone much more competent than me playing it, here is a video review of his prototype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTE_R1wut9g Seeing that on the r/Flute subreddit was what got me interested in the flute.
Last edited by NylonFlute on Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Thank you for that review. I also have a Copley Delrin which is quite nice although it took me a while to learn how to make it speak.

Are the key pads conventional pads, or some other material?
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Thank you so much for sharing your review.

When you say the tone holes are spaced wider, is that in comparison to your Copley? Do you have a standard spaced Copley?

Such a wonderful proposition, a keyed synthetic simple system flute.
rykirk
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Post by rykirk »

For another example of a fine 3D printed flute and the new work people are doing in this realm look here for a demo of Jeff Wuff's 3D printed flute after Tortochot. Interesting that he uses a composite wood/plastic material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJCMB9mDss