USA Flute Restoration

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
FascinatedWanderer
antispam: No

USA Flute Restoration

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

Hi All,

I have a boxwood Tom Aebi 8-key that needs a full overhaul. Large crack in headjoint that needs repair, keys need polishing and tweaking, bottom C# and C keys are sticky and need re-working, tenons probably need work etc. Basically needs an extremely thorough once-over to restore it to its former glory. Unfortunately sending it back to Tom is prohibitive because of customs etc.

Is there anyone in the US (preferably East Coast-based) who can be trusted with such a project? I know Jerry Schurr is one such. Anyone else?

Thanks in advance!
Steve Bliven

Re: USA Flute Restoration

Post by Steve Bliven »

Check with Jon Cornia — Jon C. on this forum and in the member's list. He does restorations on historic flutes but not sure whether he works on current maker's instruments. He's in California.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
BKWeid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Jay Ham may also be able to help. He does repair work on wooden flutes. His website is woodenflute.com.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

I second Jay Ham: he overhauled, retuned and made a new headjoint for my antique flute, and I was really happy with the result. Plus his prices are fair. On the other hand, my understanding is that he's quite busy with flute orders at the moment. Still worth getting in touch with him.

Another maker you might want to contact is John Gallagher in West Virginia. I know he fixed someone's Grinter, so he might be willing to fix your Aebi.

Good luck!
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Yogifluter

Post by Yogifluter »

Why not send it back to Tom? He turned around a flute pretty quickly for me recently. Postage was more but not terrible.

Tim
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'd been in touch with John Gallagher about getting a flute from him, and he actually said he's not taking new orders at the moment, so I suspect he's too busy to have a go at refurbishing my Aebi.

It just seems like too much of a hassle to ship it all the way back to Switzerland to Tom. I'd prefer to keep the whole thing local.
Stuporman

Post by Stuporman »

Jon Cornia, of Cochran flutes in California, does excellent repairs and reconstruction of the best wooden flutes for some of the world’s best players at a reasonable price. I own two flutes that he made, both excellent. I highly recommend him.