Greenwood's Flat Key System

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GreenWood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Greenwood's Flat Key System

Post by GreenWood »

Greenwood'f flat key fyftem.

A new method of confruction defigned to the aid of the practice of playing of the tranfverse flute in a chromatic fafhion, that further allowf diftinct and better venting of the notef and a more harmoniouf found. This new invention avoidf the clumfy ufe of external metal keyf that are often added at a premium of price to encourage the fale of filver, and inftead permitf a natural tranfition from the keyleff ftyle of playing to one with more notef, all the time maintaining the graceful appearance of the inftrument.

30th day of July 2022

The venting channel for the new tonehole is as shown in the photo below. Variations on this, key shape, tonehole size and so on might be used to optimise the venting.

PDF at

https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... 1gQHgdakt7

I used a simple slot in the flute at key end as pivot, with a simple extension of the metal plate fitting in to that. A pinned key would probably be more stable.

The trial design was not aimed at perfecting the idea, is proof of concept. No tuning values were used, instead I went by ear for note and interval distances. No attempt was made to correct the sound. Ability to reach the various notes was clear, the new tonehole was slightly veiled sounding, which could easily be overcome given tonehole size was minimal, or by other obvious design adjustments as alternative.

The (pe) foam transit pad worked, reaction (springiness) would not be fast enough with that though. There are other more suitable materials than pe. I think spring and lightest transit tube would be most acceptable for the player. This part of material design I will be working on.

The style of playing would be slightly different, lightly resting finger on tonehole would give interval note, pushing down would give the lower note. The push down gap is around two mm . It is an intuitive extension to normal playing . Makers and players would have to try different spring pressures and so on to find which felt most natural. There might be a slight difference in sound due to a small inclusion of the interval when playing straight to lower note, however I don't think this would be noticeable, no more than that occuring as a keyless tonehole is covered for example, especially if the keys are lightly sprung.

A base plate or even ready to fit cased assembly are options.

I like keyless playing, sometimes half holeing is not possible and it would be fun to try playing with a full chromatic scale also. That is why I thought up the idea. It doesn't mean it will be liked, or accepted, it is even possible others have had the idea and rejected it.

A full chromatic flute can be made like this, with a similar look to keyless. It is a project for me to build that and then learn to play with that key system and try to refine it if nescessary, or just to find what limits exist. I don't see why anyone else who might be interested in the idea should not have access to it, under the "condition" that the design remain of free use by others, i.e. no legal conditions of ownership are to be applied to the design. See page at Chiffandfipple for further information on this.

This concept is invented by myself and to the best of my knowledge has not been thought of or presented previously. That being so, and as sole inventor, I grant free use of this idea to all and without restriction or limit of any kind. Any attempt at gaining any further authority related to the use of the idea, any attempt at applying restrictions on the use of the idea by others, should and will be considered of low reputation. I reject any attempt at patent, and reject any right others might try to claim by patenting the idea. I state in advance that I relinquish any patent right I might hold also, that no patent law anywhere will be applied as long as my say as inventor is respected.

When I present a concept like the above, out of willingness to share an idea, out of a furthering the art of constructing and playing of musical instruments, due to existing law instead of a sense of satisfaction I am met by that of a burden. I realise it is possible that a larger company might try to monopolise the idea and deny other makers the use of it, so claiming market share and possibly making the livelihood of others more difficult. That would be unfair, because the idea is not theirs to own, it is offered for free use to all. Yet I am not able to guarantee it will remain so due to how law is currently constructed and applied. So I must apologise to anyone in advance should this occur, and I must say to anyone or any company that any attempt at claiming exclusive ownership or right over the use of the idea will be considered very low, and will likely be rewarded by damage to their reputation.

I name the invention "Flat Keys". If ever discussing, advertising or making a flute with them, please use that term. Why ? That way anyone thinking of applying patent will with a simple search find earliest reference here, and the above message. Better still would be "Greenwood's flat key system" said here and there, but that is long.

N.B. I apply only one exception to the above. It is a pragmatic approach for if anyone actually wants to file patent for the sole purpose of stopping others doing so, and with contract to that effect, and including of not applying any restriction or "exclusiveness" on use of the idea, then I would offer consent to that, and the agreement be published here. It is a pragmatic option, my own free choice is to simply waive the right of anyone to apply patent to this invention, myself included.

I hope this all has not come across as exaggerated or conceited in any way. I try to keep any theme light-hearted, and I realise the concept might not be taken up or might be proven impracticable for some reason. However the possibility of providing an idea for free use that then gets taken over and to the eventual cost or detriment of smaller makers is a responsibility I am aware of and would make every effort to ensure is not allowed.