The youth that belonged to Miltown

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The youth that belonged to Miltown

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A gentle plug for a new Cd by Marian Curtin and Therese McInerny, flute and fiddle respectively.

Marian held the under 18 All Ireland title at one point. Theirs is a fine duet rooted in West Clare.
My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The youth that belonged to Miltown

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Mr. g

I will keep an eye out for it.

John
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Got a title or a link, Mr Gumby?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The thread name is the title. Custy's will have it shortly, Marian just confirmed.
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

Thanks for that, Mr G. Would you know whether or not it is on sale at the NPU shop which usually pops up in Miltown ? Some friends of mine are over, and I might ask them to get me a few copies. Ta. - Sorry I'm not there to pick them up myself. Hope the week is going well. Kenny
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

NPU ended the shop in 2019. Apparently it was too much work but it is a bit annoying. It's likely to be for sale somewhere and the girls are around too. They were selling them @ €15/two for €25 at the launch so probably best to get them directly from themselves.

Everybody is walking on air, it's so great to see everybody and have music again. It's one long explosion of hugs and handshakes, everybody keen to chat.

Great huffing and puffing all afternoon and night in Friel's:

Molloy made an appearance, first since 1981 or 82 if I remember correctly :

It's all hectic and brilliant. Hadn't realised how much I missed it all. Too much to get my head around yet. Mind you, it's Atlantic mist and drizzle today.
My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Mr G

I always like your reports from the Willie week.

Take care

John
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I've been enjoying it. Fintan Vallely is my flute instructor and it's a great pleasure. I've been a bit too COVID concerned to spend much time in the crowded pubs. I managed to play in a session in O'Laughlin's where I could sit by an open door. In the place I'm staying a man from Australia arrived and promptly tested positive, so he's isolating in one of the rooms. It makes me cautious, possibly too cautious. You walk into Friel's and the music is great but the air is thick

Fintan graciously agreed to "launch" my book as well, and ITMA has it for sale at their table in the community center. I had no idea this would be the case, but I'm obviously glad. I had a very nice conversation with Nicholas Carolan and we shared our amazement at how digitization has transformed research. Both of us are old enough to well remember going into archives with a stack of 3x5 index cards and getting writer's cramp.

It's wonderful to walk along and hear music from every pub, and nearly every person on the street is carrying an instrument case, and even I bump into people I know.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't like being inside crowded pubs at the best of times so I am staying away from that side of it, although I may briefly pop into a quiet one during the afternoons.

Was talking to someone about covid concerns on Monday, said I was good to go when I tested on Sunday. He replied it would be a good idea to test before classes and found himself positive when he did, on Tuesday morning. So he's off the concert line up and his class has been cancelled.

I am 'on duty", as someone put it, at most recitals, lectures etc from the early afternoon piping recitals until late. Staying to the side, keeping distance as much as I can. So far, so good.

[Add to that, just did another test, as of 9.15 this morning I am still good to go]
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

Timely reminders there that Coronavirus hasn't gone away.
That's an interesting photo MrG. I see Spike Callaghan there with Aoife Granville, but have they all given up the drink ? Not good news at all for the pub owner.
Referring to the Darach de Brun tune recording offer on the other whistle thread, I would like to hear that, please, if you can send it to me.
I have Matt Molloy in Miltown in 1982, according to the date on some tapes recorded at a session : I posted a short audio recording on Youtube 2 years ago :
https://youtu.be/lGzmRpcMrcg
Enjoy Miltown and stay safe, Kenny
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It was a flutey session, Deirdre and Aoife Granville, Eamon Cotter and Cillian Boyd (Gerldine's son). Tara Diamond went in later as well as some others, they were going all afternoon and were still there when I made my way home before eleven (taking early nights and staying out of the pubs). There was a big one going in the Central too wih Molloy, McGrattan, Sean Og Potts and loads of others (I looked in the window, walking by). Connie Connell and Eibhlinn de Paor were in the window of Clancy's, again with a bunch of others.

PM with links sent.
My brain hurts

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks for reporting from Miltown Peter, and for the photos. Seems like Willie Week is flying as of yore, even though corona is still lurking. I thought the Central was a refugee center, apparently not?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Steampacket wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:03 am I thought the Central was a refugee center, apparently not?
That was not up to scratch, they transferred the asylum seekers to Ennis. Now Lisdoon and Ballyvaugha hold some 3000 Ukrainian refugees between them. Kilkee has a lot of refugees too. None in Miltown though, not right now anyway.

Paul Dooley has taken one Ukrainian under his wing. She plays the Bandura. They played duets at various recitals and toured the harp classes. Great stuff.

Willie is pretty civilised so far, not too busy. Obviously Wednesday night was a bit rowdy but I didn't stay on after the pipes recital.
My brain hurts

rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

I heard these 2 young musicians on ClareFM podcast, absolutely wonderful playing, delightful music.