Tkdp

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GreenWood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Tkdp

Post by GreenWood »

It is all Kevin Crawford's fault. I started flute with a rennaisance tune, and then decided Irish music might be good, with a great affinity for Paddy Carty, who plays very evenly and is amazingly precise, the apparent simplicity of his playing is a very good starting point because you soon learn that there is a whole world more to that, and yet it is somehow accessible for someone learning. Well, then there are the rest of them and some are ok at flute, and a while back I ended up deciding to play Kevin Crawford's version of Cooley's reel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGzJdoMeoQY

"Last night's fun" ... and he does a tkd ... and so I went to understand what that was exactly ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cV7z9KEGUrE is a friendly source for ideas or learning on boehm) ...even though I know that I have an aversion to playing with strong accents. I managed to learn that ok, but not only did it seem at odds with Irish music (though it sounds ok in that tune) or at least my way of playing, I also started using that technique in other passages, or just as strong start note :-(

It felt like I was spitting on the music, somehow, and if not the music, then the flute, and if not the flute, then anyone listening, and if not anyone listening, just into the air.

So, I have actually had to un-teach myself that. I do like the way "Last night's fun" sounds though, so how to do that without spitting. I could roll the fingers of the right hand across the tonehole and get a staccato effect, but not return them to position before the next note. I had tried controlling the air to achieve that, a bit like a laugh, but thought it would be to difficult or not possible to do precisely. Then I read

http://www.irishfluteguide.info/catheri ... interview/

Where she talks of that, and I looked up the example given

https://www.itma.ie/features/playlists/ ... h-78s-1930

Encouraged by that, slowly I am learning that technique, it isn't too hard but is something of trial and error to start off with, but now it is of being consistent and in time. It sounds close enough, I think.

So, for anyone else not wanting to tkd and short on ideas , there is that.

;-)
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Re: Tkdp

Post by AuLoS303 »

Emily has some very good videos on her Flute Channel, though I've not seen her play irish flute yet.
I have to ask what Tkdp means...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

AuLoS303 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:40 pm Emily has some very good videos on her Flute Channel, though I've not seen her play irish flute yet.
I have to ask what Tkdp means...
I don't know what it means. They talk about it a lot though, like "dugada" and "tuketa" when it comes to making staccato or fast emphasis on the flute.

I don't know, the classical flute players get away with it and no-one seems to mind it there, but in Irish traditional music only occasionally is it found. I guess it is personal preference really, I liked the tune as Kevin Crawford played it, but don't enjoy playing that way, which sounds contradictory...which is why I explained the above. I guess it is a bit of a controversial topic and people just have their way and that is that.

I don't know much about boehm system flutes, have never picked one up even, but you mentioned in another post that you found bass difficult. What comes to mind is the number of keys, and if one leaks. On simple system cylindrical flutes [... and for me that also means keyless ], bass notes often need a careful and different approach, but once you figure out what they are about are fine, and actually I find that because they are more subtle they also allow a lot of expression. I think wooden cylindrical flute is more common for Irish music than known, but metal boehm is more difficult to approach to the sound. The closest I know of so far is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qOrvFkRDZmE

..and The session has some long discussions on that, e.g.

https://thesession.org/discussions/46359
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Ah you mean the types of articulation!
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
GreenWood

Post by GreenWood »

Those.