Source for synthetic corks/stoppers?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
joneill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a classical flutist looking to add in some Irish skills. I'm deciding between a Dixon 2-part or 3-part low D whistle. Since the three-part is twice as much, I'd like some feedback on pros and cons.

Source for synthetic corks/stoppers?

Post by joneill »

I'd like to replace the natural cork on my flute with a synthetic one for more durability in extreme climates. Is there a source for them? And how do you go about matching sizes to your particular flute? I'm a newbie from the classical world where cork size is standardized, so feel free to assume I'm dumb and explain it very slowly.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Source for synthetic corks/stoppers?

Post by kkrell »

One of the benefits of natural cork is its hardiness in moist conditions & extreme climates.

You can have a stopper w/O-rings made for a head cork - Robert Bigio in the UK supposedly does them for Irish flutes as well as Boehm.
https://www.bigio.com/stoppersandcrowns.htm

I'm not sure that the dimensions of synthetic head corks made for Boehm flutes will fit the inner diameter of a traditional flute. Many of these are commonly Delrin centers w/1 or multiple O-rings for fit & sealing.

Alternatively, you could get a synthetic cork from a wine bottle & cut & sand to size. I don't know that it is any more resistant to extremes.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
joneill
Tell us something.: I'm a classical flutist looking to add in some Irish skills. I'm deciding between a Dixon 2-part or 3-part low D whistle. Since the three-part is twice as much, I'd like some feedback on pros and cons.

Post by joneill »

Thanks for the website. I'll send him a message.

Natural cork dries out and shrinks over time and loses its air-tight seal. This is why wine bottles are properly stored on their side to keep the cork wet. Synthetic corks do not dry out and shrink, which is why they have become popular for mass-market store-brands that are kept upright.

When the cork in a flute dries and shrinks, it can cause small leaks that affect the instrument's harmonics. Flute corks are typically replaced every 1-7 years, depending upon use, storage, and environment. I'm probably averaging a cork every other year for my dry environment or above the sixth harmonic suffers. Since the key work is serviced at least yearly anyway, that's not a big deal (but I have been looking into trying a synthetic stopper or resonator at my next COA to see if the claims of improved tone are true). But my Irish flute is synthetic and keyless, so the only maintenance I could possibly need is on the cork, right?

The synthetic corks I have are too wide, but the head joint is also definitely wider than a Boehm. I have seen Irish flutes with synthetic stoppers. Do they make them in-house? Or are they available online?
joneill

Post by joneill »

You are correct--Robert Bigio will make custom stoppers and crowns for Irish flutes. He responded right back with pricing and what measurements he needs .
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

So when my cork dies, isnt it easy to replace it with thread instead? Would be much easier than having to make or pay someone to make new ones.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

From my reading, the discussion to this point is about the cork in the head (of the flute), not tenon corking.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
joneill

Post by joneill »

Do you mean replacing the cork on the tendons/joints with thread? I bow to all the experienced Irish flutes for that one (yes, I'm asking just about the cork inside the head joint). You should be putting cork grease on the joints to keep the cork from drying out, right?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

joneill wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:25 am You should be putting cork grease on the joints to keep the cork from drying out, right?
That's not really the reason; it might help a bit, but natural cork dries out in time no matter what you do. Cork grease is for reducing friction between socket and tenon. Without it, the cork bits would soon tear.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

At the risk of confusing things. The maker of my mopane flute uses as a stopper a cylinder of wood wrapped in thread and greased. It's still going strong after 10 years. That would be one way of using a synthetic cork without needing to rely on sanding it down to a perfect fit.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:30 pm The maker of my mopane flute uses as a stopper a cylinder of wood wrapped in thread and greased. It's still going strong after 10 years.
That's a completely new one for me, and TBH, it's hard for me to find fault with it.

It just occurred to me that if one insists on natural cork but one's present stopper has dried out and come loose, a thread wrapping around it sounds like the perfect stopgap until you find a fresh replacement. Hadn't even considered that. Normally I'd plump up the cork over steam, and that works surprisingly well, and quickly too, but there are two main counts against the practice: 1) It's just a temporary fix that'll last you only a few days at best, but more importantly: 2) If the stopper's attached to a mechanical endcap, you run the risk of harming the wooden part.

I don't have anything against synthetic stoppers; one of my last (and perhaps forever) stoppers was a synthetic wine cork which had the right diameter to fit perfectly; just had to shorten it lengthwise. But thread wrapping's definitely in the stopper toolkit now.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician