Silver ring

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Silver ring

Post by jim stone »

One of my flutes has lost its bottom ring. It's the small ring on the bottom section of the flute. I've searched for days. Anybody know Roughly how much it costs to have a flutesmith fabricate a new one? A ballpark figure would help.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Silver ring

Post by kkrell »

I'd expect $50-100.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Yeah, that's really irritating.

You can wrap a turn or two of tenon thread around the end of the flute, and then press the ring (which you just found under the dresser) back on the flute.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

tstermitz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:44 pm Yeah, that's really irritating.

You can wrap a turn or two of tenon thread around the end of the flute, and then press the ring (which you just found under the dresser) back on the flute.
Nah. The rule is, you'll find it under the dresser as soon as you receive the new one and install it.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

Katharine wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:06 pm
tstermitz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:44 pm Yeah, that's really irritating.

Nah. The rule is, you'll find it under the dresser as soon as you receive the new one and install it.
I suppose you could always order two new rings then, to help quickly find the one you just replaced if that comes off also. I would say that keeping the newly found old one would do that trick, but the detail is quite finicky and seems to demand going out of one's way, and so just putting the old one back on might not work :-( .

I should know, I have a whole collection of rings from metal detecting. Silver, gold, with diamond and rubies. I had thought of decorating a flute with them, but I don't own them really, though cannot return them either , so they just get collected. Anyway, a rule with metal detecting is said to be that you find nothing for hours, until just before you reach where you parked as you are about to leave and are hardly paying attention anymore...there are a whole load of stories like that...that reminds me of when I was asked to look for someone's car keys and spent half an hour searching around their towel on the beach... and then they find they had left them in the car door... though I guess you would have noticed by now if you were wearing an extra ring.

:-)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Found it!
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Well done! And is it a good tight fit (unlikely!) or do you want ideas on how to make it so?
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

In the pocket of the jeans you were wearing that day, I'm sure.

I've used thread, as there is a little groove in my flute to receive it. However, I like the one where you press the ring over a scrap of t-shirt cloth, and then trim neatly with an exactly knife.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I can secure the ring, thank you. I live in a rooming house and I was giving some mail to the manager. I found the ring on little table outside his door. Somebody else must have Found it, and put it on the table. You can imagine how glad I am. Thanks again
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

A teacher of mine lost a ring from the bottom of his Olwell. He was going to send it back "one of these days" to get a new one. I happened to be wearing a silicone wedding ring in those days. Since I bought them in packs of three and no real emotional connection to them I gave it to him. If nothing else it served as a bumper for awhile. :lol: