For Sale: Chris Wilkes Keyless Blackwood D Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

For Sale: Chris Wilkes Keyless Blackwood D Flute

Post by Julia Delaney »

I am offering my Chris Wilkes keyless blackwood D flute. It is the standard medium-size hole Rudall model, slim and elegant. The flute was totally gone over by Wilkes two years ago. Patrick Olwell has since repaired a small crack that opened in the head-joint. The repair is invisible and does not affect the playing. I like this flute very much but it doesn’t fit my current need for a keyed flute.

The flute plays with power and clarity and is in perfect tune into the third octave. The low D is clear and vibrant and is easily accessible. It holds its own in a session playing along with accordions and pipes. It is very nimble and quick to respond. There is currently a ten-year wait for a flute like this. It is in excellent condition, with no chips, cracks, scratches or warping.

Chris Wilkes is one of the top two or three most esteemed contemporary makers of simple-system flutes. Jean-Michel Veillon has referred to Wilkes as “The Master.” The flute will come in a custom-made case that Wilkes makes for his flutes. These cases are very hard to find. The case is like new.

I will also be including a Jean Cavallaro form-fitted, zippered, waterproof case cover. I believe these were made up until about ten years ago, at which time she sold the company. They are no longer being made in this design, so far as I know, and no longer with shearling lining. There is a separate zippered compartment for cleaning tools, etc. The case cover is very protective and is also in excellent condition.
Last edited by Julia Delaney on Wed May 11, 2022 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: For Sale: Chris Wilkes Keyless Blackwood D Flute

Post by Flexismart »

Davey,
https://postimages.org
You can post images to this site and copy links to the photos, then insert them using the images button (with the mountain and the sun in the menu above the dialog box).
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

This is indeed an opportunity for someone to acquire an extremely fine instrument. I'm very happy with my Wilkes keyless flute. When I bought mine some years ago my embouchure wasn't all that good, but I practiced and was eventually able to do the flute justice. It is a Rudall model and is extremely responsive when played.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Thanks to Flex and Steamie.

The flute has been sold.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale