Playing Outside the Lines

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelM
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been pickin' at the flute for decades. Now retired, I am spending more time at it. Not a natural musician but I enjoy it. and so do my dogs. I joined C&F in 2013 but had lurked for a long time before that.

Playing Outside the Lines

Post by MichaelM »

I am considering working my way through Vol1 of Leslie Anne Harrison' s Playing Outside the Lines in an effort to improve my playing. Has anyone experience of this series/her teaching methodology?
To my non-expert eye it seems well-constructed. There is downloadable audio for all the tunes, in which she plays each tune slowly then faster with ornamentation. And what about the other volumes?
Comments welcome
Michael
Steve Bliven

Re: Playing Outside the Lines

Post by Steve Bliven »

I haven't seen any of the "Outside the Lines" publications but have visited Ms. Harrison's web site and her YouTube channel where she introduces tunes or discusses various techniques. I've also watched a one-hour presentation she did for the National Flute Association.

I find her presentations to be clear and helpful. Some of her focus is on moving from silver flute to simple system instruments and necessary changes in techniques. Having a very limited background in "pure drop" Irish playing (listening to lots of recordings but not being brought up in the tradition), I can't vouch for how "Irish" her playing might—be but she does know her way around a flute and is good about presenting her points.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
msupples
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the flute, uilleann pipes, highland pipes, whistles, and a few other things. [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Post by msupples »

I have volumes 1 and 2. They are very well done, and a great value (I think they're like $11 each?).

They remind me of middle and high school band books I had, but a more mature, adult version.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Here's a one-hour video Ms. Harrison recently did for the National Flute Association. It's aimed at beginner-intermediates but gives a sense of her approach to teaching and capacity to pass on information. From what I understand, these are the techniques she incorporates into her printed materials (although I haven't seen her books). The printed materials from the show are provided here.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.