What Happened to Maurice Reviol?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
WillOnBowen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing Celtic music on flute and mandolin for over 30 years. I have been a lurker on this forum for many years. Now I have questions to ask forum members.

What Happened to Maurice Reviol?

Post by WillOnBowen »

Does anyone know what has happened to Maurice Reviol?
He was making a flute for me, but I haven’t heard from him for almost six months.
I know Covid has caused shutdowns in NewZealand in the past year.

I hope he is OK.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Re: What Happened to Maurice Reviol?

Post by BKWeid »

He always has been quick to answer emails. However, I sent an email with questions in early December and haven’t heard back. I know he’s on Facebook. Perhaps give that a try?
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

he may have had to relocate his shop? but he is a supper reliable person , hope it all works out.
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

I agree with Eilam: Maurice is a super person. Last fall, he added 3 keys to my Garry Somers delrin flute. At that time, he said he was shutting down his workshop to move it and didn't know when he would be able to resume work. Covid lockdowns in New Zealand also meant that he did some work from home because he couldn't go to his workshop.
Keep trying to contact him. He will respond.
regards,
Paul
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I communicated with him last month. As others have mentioned he was moving his shop, I’m not sure he even has a new location yet. He told me it would probably be a few more months before he was up and running again. He mentioned other things going on in his life as well that are complicating matters. Bottom line, it sounds like he’s got more than usual going on in his life at the moment so it’s not surprising communication is slower than usual. He will get back to you.
flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

Hello everyone...
I just came across this and thought I might as well clarify what happens here at the moment.
Yes, Busy times indeed and lockdowns and simply less airtraffic coming and going to New Zealand has changed things a wee bit to say the least. Covid as such was not such a big deal, with support from the government, I can count myself happy that I sailed through that full steam and repairs, the local repairs that is, come still in as per usual.

The making side took somewhat a hit, as I had to pack up my workshop and after being in the same place for 15 years or more, that's a daunting task. Half of it is in storage, the lathe is in a friend's garage, he used to help me one day of the week making Uilleann-Pipe parts and Low Whistles as he wanted to make himself a set and he wants to use that until I have a new place. We might even leave it that way and he joins me for some work, we'll see.

I am also happily (and peacefully) divorced, no lawyer was involved and we have cups of coffee together still... That meant that we sold our house and split things 50/50 and now I found a unit with garage where I am working from. That move happened just days ago still and it's a real pleasure to live out of boxes 🙄...

Once more of those boxes are emptied into cupboards and the garage can be used again, the remainder of workshop stuff, including the milling machine, which is the main tool when adding keywork and the 'dirty' workbench for keymaking will go in there. All that while the local repairs of Oboes, Clarinets, Bassoons, Saxophones and Flutes and whatever else there is (weirdest and the same time most amazing one was a Heckelphone! - http://www.bassoon.co.nz/album/Heckelphone/) is still happening from a bench in the flat.

I try my best to answer emails quickly, but sometimes, when they arrive at a time when I am not in the office, they can leave my radar, once spam pushes them out of sight in Thunderbird.

I hope you're all well and got through these weird times unscathed, Covid itself paid a visit a few weeks ago, but nicely timed so it happened in the window just before we moved house, couldn't be more perfect and that's now done and dusted (touch wood - a nice piece of Honduras Rosewood)

All the best,
Maurice Reviol
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Ah, great to hear from you again, Maurice. These are strange times and you've had more than a fair share - hopefully the old maxim about "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" will pay off in the end! - Terry