Flute Buying

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Music in the Glen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a flute and guitar (and occasionally tin whistle) player from Austria. Growing up in a musical household, with both parents singing and playing instruments, music is a huge part of my live, and one of my favourite discussion topics ;)
(Please excuse my bad school-English, I do my best)

Flute Buying

Post by Music in the Glen »

Hi, I'm looking for a not too expensive wooden flute for sale (if possible, not much more than 500€), wich still has a good quality. I don't need keys. Does someone have any experience with flutes in this prize category and can recommend a good one to me?
Thank you so much!
PS: Just to add, I'm located in Austria, so I would be happy if the flute is available there and the shipping is not more expensive than the flute ;)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Flute Buying

Post by Loren »

Few makers are putting out quality keyless wood flutes in that price range, and none (that I can think of) who I’d recommend. Even used it will likely be difficult to find a decent wood flute at that price - maybe a used Sweetheart or WDSweet flute if you can find one.

Delrin/Polymer flutes are your best bet in the price range range you stated, and in some cases they will be just as good if not better than many wood flutes. Flutes from Dave Copley are probably the most often recommended Delrin flutes here on the forum, but there are multiple others. If you are willing to forgo wood for Delrin/polymer you would have multiple options.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

A couple of preowned flutes in your price range right here in the UIE:
https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 5&t=113042
https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 5&t=113053

And another on the Irish Flute Marketplace FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3454951 ... 388021780/

I just received a delrin Copley yesterday and it's a superb player. But as Loren mentioned, there are other makers who make delrin flutes as well.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Another option (and in Europe):
https://www.adams.se/flutemaker/
However, it's not clear from his Dec 2021 update if he's currently making/selling flutes, but you could inquire.
Music in the Glen
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a flute and guitar (and occasionally tin whistle) player from Austria. Growing up in a musical household, with both parents singing and playing instruments, music is a huge part of my live, and one of my favourite discussion topics ;)

Thank you all, this was helpful - but forget the 500 €, this was an utopic dream, it can be more.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Music in the Glen wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:15 am Thank you all, this was helpful - but forget the 500 €, this was an utopic dream, it can be more.
Keyless flutes can go anywhere from 400 euros for a Baubet in delrin to 1700 euros for a Morvan in blackwood :boggle: , for instance, so if you are able to give us your upper limit and whether you absolutely want wood or you're ok with delrin, you might get more specific recommendations :)
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Music in the Glen

Flutern, you're right, so here more specific: Yes, if somehow possible, I would want wood (too many Ws in this sentence).

Upper limit is difficult. Maybe atound 800/900 €? I'm not that rich, I guess. So, I'm asking just to inform myself. I play flute now for some years, until now on the old silver flute from my mother (I know, might be not ideal, but take what you have and make the best of it).
Now, it's my birthday in spring, and I wanted to get a quite good flute. I just don't want my relatives to think, that they have to pay a couple of hundred euros everyone, so I was asking for something cheaper. But now, I guess I'm going to pay a part of the present myself, so don't think to much about the price. Just some good flutes that are not tooooo expensive. (I know by far more about the music than about the instruments themselves, never bought a flute in my life, so I'm glad you are helping me :boggle:)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yes, giving more specifics will make it easier for us to make useful recommendations as there are a lot of flute makers and different models of flutes out there. Can you tell us:

How long have you been playing flute?

Will this be your first keyless simple system flute?

Do you have large, medium, or small size hands?

Any known wood allergies?

What environment(s) do you plan on using the flute? Only at home? Small sessions? Large noisy sessions? On stage with Metallica? (Just kidding)

How quickly do you want/need to obtain a flute? Within days/weeks? Or can you wait 8-18 months.

Maximum you are willing to pay?

I feel like I’m forgetting a question or two, but answering those questions would narrow the options considerably.
Music in the Glen

Sorry, sorry, sorry for all my confusing posts.
So, I will change the topic a bit. I'm looking for general advice on flute buying (and if you have specific recommendations, I'd be happy, but it's not necessary). I wouldn't call me a total beginner when the music is concerned (although I play silver flute), I've been playing for some years now. But in all that time, I've never bought an instrument. Sounds strange, but it is like that. I got the old flute from my mother and my dad's guitar, so it wasn't necessary to buy something new. Okay, I bought a tin whistle, but I don't know if this counts. It was a cheaper one, and I'm glad that I didn't buy a really expensive, because I soon found out that this just isn't my instrument.

I would be happy if you could give me some advice on flute buying in general, where should I be careful, how do you see if a flute that's offered somewhere is a good one?

Loren, to answer your questions (or at least to try it):

I've been playing flute for over three years now, I guess, also tin whistle, and I learned recorder in primary school (although I don't play anymore and I don't think this matters).

Yes, would be my first keyless simple system, but I know how to play it

I think my hands are medium sized, not that big, but also not too small

I play just at home most of the time (try to find some players of this music style in Austria...) and sometimes with a friend

How quickly I need the flute... yes, in fact, I don't need it at all. After a long time if playing Irish music, I just want to get the "right" flute now (although I'm not unhappy with my silver flute, but I just like the sound of the wooden one).

And how much I'm willing to pay... I know that flutes go above the thousand euro mark very quickly, but I explained the situation in my former post (wich you didn't see, although I wrote before you, because the forum decided to check my posts. It's the first time I'm posting here (although I have the profile for quite some time now), so I guess it's normal).

Thank you, and please excuse my spelling- and grammar mistakes and the overuse of the word "although" :lol: . If something is (of the language) unclear, please tell me and I will try to explain it. I'm currently learning English in school and am not perfect, I guess. :wink:
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Music in the Glen,

Here are a couple more options for you to consider. Both are in your price range.

Option1: Tony Millyard (UK)
sound example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msU2hx9P1VA
He makes both keyless and keyed flutes in blackwood, mopane and boxwood.
Email him if you are interested he can tell you an approximate wait time for the flute you want.
I currently own and play one of his Pratten blackwood keyless flutes.

Option 2: Steffen Gabriel (Germany)
sound example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz9rF5MA1I
He makes both keyless and keyed flutes in blackwood, mopane and olive wood.
Wait time is around 7-8 months for a keyless.
I have an Olive wood wide bore Rudall in D on order from him.

If the wait time is too long for you then you may post a WTB (want to buy) to see if anyone has one they would be willing to sell you.

Hope this helps you.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Some of the least expensive wooden flutes around are made by David Angus.
http://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/epages/ ... olk_Flutes
And they are pretty good. I have one in purpleheart wood with stainless steel rings. Just lovely. Maybe not the easiest for a beginner because they have a more "classic" (by wooden flute standards) smaller embouchure hole. So you need some experience to get a full sound but the holes are closely spaced and small -- perfect for smaller hands or when you are not yet used to the larger stretch compared to a boehm flute.
Another cheaper option might be a bamboo flute. Maybe by Barna Gabos:
https://barnagabosflutes.weebly.com/bamboo.html
Music in the Glen

Thank you really much, TxWhistler and Sedi, this is really helpful!
Music in the Glen

Would you recommend a bamboo flute for Irish music? I mean, I've heard of it, but it doesn't seem to be the most common wood for flutes in this style.
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

In my opinion it is possible to play traditional music on any flute, but it will fit to the abilities and limits of that flute. The difficulty is no-one is going to be able to decide for you what flute might suit you or your playing best. All you can do is research the sounds of different kinds of wooden flutes, read up on forums what people have to say of different kinds of flute, and preferably actually try some flutes out first. On the forum people tend to have some quite demanding parameters of what represents a good flute, but if you are starting to learn traditional music or just wanting to know how you get on playing a wooden flute then there are some quality intro flutes to be found. Some good makers occasionally provide less expensive no frills versions, or

https://musiquemorneaux.com/flutes/

has a version for example which you can hear played there.

I'll add in another maker in that price range if he is still making flutes

http://www.adams.se/flutemaker/index.html

with demonstration of sound.

That is not a recommendation either, it is just so that you get an idea of the range available. The only advice I can give is to buy from reputable makers or to try the flute out first.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I have a flute by David Angus. His are around the 200 pound range (hes in the UK), and I've had no issues with shipping. I got it because, it was one of the only actual wood ones I could get, and is cheaper than most Delrin ones. How his compares to ones like Seery, M&E, etc, I'm not sure. If anyone has played his whos a bit more knowledgable, I'm interested to know how his compare. I'm primarily a whistle player. But from my minimal experience, it seems good. Which could make it a good option if you really want the wood look like I did. But there's other very reputable Delrin flute makers that could be better.