Checking for leaks

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tradlad123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Checking for leaks

Post by tradlad123 »

I recently acquired a new Blackwood flute by a good maker and today suddenly the sound has weakened no matter how I try to blow it. For checking, I am able to get a good sound on my delrin flute (to rule out if it’s one of those days with bad embouchure).
Any tips on checking if there’s a leak somewhere? Visually I am not able to see any cracks etc.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Checking for leaks

Post by Terry McGee »

Have you tried the suck and blow test on each section? EG, take the head off, put the palm of your hand over the embouchure hole and suck at the tuning slide. You should be able to "pull a good vacuum". And it should give you a reassuring "plop" when you pull it away from your lips.

Now do the same on each of the other sections. It helps to wet your finger tips while covering the finger holes.

Rule out each section, then repeat the test in pairs (EG head and barrel), to rule out leakage at the joints.

You can test the whole flute in one go if someone else is available to help cover holes.

Now so far, that's the suck test, and is usually all you need for a keyless flute. But if dealing with a keyed flute, it's good to follow up with a blow test to rule out the possibility that a spring is almost enough to keep the pad closed, but not quite. (The suck test can be misleading as it can suck such a pad on to the hole, fooling you into believing it's not leaking.) You shouldn't be able to lift any of the keypads with just the power of your breath.

With flutes, any detectable leakage is worth following up.
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

Thanks Terry, for an elaborate reply! I will perform these tests and get back soon
KevinNot10
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Post by KevinNot10 »

Given the symptoms you report, I'd be inclined to check the position of the cork in the headjoint. If that has shifted then you might very well get a weaker sound.

The imperfect rule for positioning is that the distance from the middle of the embouchure hole to the end of the cork should be equal to the inner diameter of the headjoint.
Kevin