Delrin Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Delrin Pratten

Post by Loren »

Interesting reading, thanks gentlemen.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

So, today, having rammed a Prattens in Delrin through from start to finish in a few days, I'm back to roughing out a flute in blackwood. Ah, it's like meeting an old friend. It's a reminder yet again (as if I needed a reminder!) of how lucky we flute makers are - working in these gorgeous materials like blackwood, mopane, cocus, gidgee and silver. Hmmm, perhaps I'd better go quiet or canny flute players will start saying we makers should be paying them for the privilege of being able to make them flutes!

I should also have mentioned that I made two feet for the Delrin Prattens - a Short D foot (as you'd find on baroque flutes but without the Eb key of course), and a Long D foot which resembles a C foot but is optimised for the note D. So, as well as comparing wooden and Delrin flutes, I can now compare the long and short D feet more thoroughly.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Post by Steve Bliven »

Terry McGee wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:44 am I should also have mentioned that I made two feet for the Delrin Prattens - a Short D foot (as you'd find on baroque flutes but without the Eb key of course), and a Long D foot which resembles a C foot but is optimised for the note D. So, as well as comparing wooden and Delrin flutes, I can now compare the long and short D feet more thoroughly.
This is a topic that Walt Sweet has also been playing around with. I had a mid-90s Olwell that came with the "two foot option" and Walt spent some time playing and listening to that one as part of his investigation. Mr. Olwell may also have some thoughts on the matter given his experiences. Just passing on those thoughts.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.