McGee Flutes website and emails down

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

McGee Flutes website and emails down

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi all

Apologies for any inconvenience but it seems "an extreme weather event" has taken out all the resources of my domain hosting company, so my website and my emails have been down since sometime on Christmas Day. (Merry Christmas!) I think things are progressing slowly - at first I could see nothing, but at least now I see a very general issue notice. And references in the popular press to the company's entire service being down. Western Australia (where my site is hosted) sweltered through its hottest Christmas Day on record, according to news reports. Welcome to Climate Change!

Hopefully, under the provisions of Sod's Law, the very act of publishing this post will have the immediate effect of restoring all systems to full working order. I won't hold my breath....

I'll put a note up here once things are back to normal.
eilam

Re: McGee Flutes website and emails down

Post by eilam »

sorry Terry, i hope it works out soon and that you are in a good place.
e.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi Eilam

All good here. If very quiet! Spike Milligan's "Cut off from the rest of the world by modern communications" rings in my ears. Still "quiet" is good compared to the pandemics, bushfires, floods etc we've had over these last few years. I shall slip down to the workshop and spring some keys I fitted to a flute yesterday. And be very thankful for my lot. I enjoy keywork. It's an opportunity for quiet contemplation while teasing the laws of physics into achieving the best possible action.

I was a bit astonished to read my name in a column in our leading Sydney newspaper this morning. The column is dedicated to whimsy, it's very short, and is notoriously hard to get a contribution included. Granny (the mythical editor of the column) published three of mine! I had forgotten entirely that I had emailed them the contributions just before Christmas. Somehow reading your name in print confirms you still exist. Lego, ergo sum....
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Ah, some progress to report. My site is up again, but still no emails. So apologies to anyone awaiting a response. Watch this space....!
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

And now the good news. Suddenly my computer said "ding-a-ling-ling", the sound that signifies an incoming email. And sure enough, there it was. And then another and another.

Interestingly, they didn't all tumble out at once, as if to imply they had been assembled somewhere for their final trip. They trickled in slowly over an hour or more, and in no obvious order. One can only wonder where they were living. In a low orbit in cyberspace, I guess....

So, back to normal, as far as I can tell. There go all my excuses.....