in praise of the all-wood flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

in praise of the all-wood flute

Post by stiofan »

I've been playing a lovely David O'Brien keyless flute for close to a year now, fully-lined w/tuning slide. It's my primary flute right now and I really enjoy it a lot, an easy player with a sweet tone in the upper register. It's the first flute I've owned with a tuning slide and lined head. But, every now and then (like today), I pick up my trusty Casey Burns (large-holed, standard keyless model) flute that's completely all-wood -- unlined, no tuning slide, no rings, and fall in love all over again with that au naturel sound and feel -- that quintessentially warm, woody, soft tone. There's just something special about nothing more than breath, wood, and fingers connecting player to sound.

BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Re: in praise of the all-wood flute

Post by BKWeid »

Stiofan, variety is the spice of life. I totally agree.

One of my favorite flutes is an all wood Martin Doyle—in beautiful rosewood. I really notice the tonal nuances and enjoy the mellow woodsy sound. Not less powerful, but smoother and warm with its own unique bark. Every time I pick it up after playing my tuning slide lined flute, I am pleasantly reminded of the joys of a completely simple flute— interesting and compelling to play.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My "pry it out of my cold dead hands" flute is an old all-wood Nicholson rosewood by Pat Olwell. I have a fully keyed boxwood version that's close but not quite the same. For my arthritic hands, the weight or lack thereof is wonderful, but there's just something about the way it plays that's different from any other flute I've owned. I agree that the sound is just somehow "woodier."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I do like all wood Flutes
Two Flutes that come to mind are The McGee GLP's as well as Martin Doyle Flutes without the metal Slides
I can't say they sound better than the Flutes with Metal Slides, but they do weigh less which is a big Plus.
My First Flute was a Sweetheart 1 Key Flute which did not have a metal slide, but it did serve me well.
I think Players fall in one of two camps , People like myself that don't play in many groups and don't need a slide, or those that play
sessions that benefit by the fine Tuning of a Slide
But there again Martin Doyle's Flutes without a Slide seem to be fine in groups and allow for some fine Tuning :thumbsup:
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

This could easily turn into a Martin Doyle flute thread—a worthy topic. I did read somewhere (on his website?) that Mr. Doyle favors a flute without metal slides as the tone is more to his liking, or something like that. He definitely accomplishes instrumental magic with his all wood flutes. Mine is his two piece model that seems to adjust tuning within the tenon space just fine. So much fun to play!
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I have a two part Casey Burns folk flute in Mopane. It really is just a two part stick with a whisky bottle top as an end cap. The functional "cork" is a bit of thread wound wood. It has a very lovely minimalistic ethic to it and sounds good too. I need it about a quarter inch out to play at 440Hz at sea level and I have a small plastic pipe spacer in the joint to hold it roughly there. I also wound the outside of the mortice with some fishing line and super glue since that seemed the weakest part of the whole flute - it is all transparent, so you hardly see it. (Today, I might have used carbon fibre thread and gone with a black adhesive for a minor contrasting look.)

So, functionally and aesthetically all wood with no decorative carving/turning and sounds great. Yes, I can understand the appeal people here have described with all wood flutes.

The reason it isn't my main flute is that I have a fully keyed one that I like better and use chromatically and another superb keyless that has a proper tuning slide which is sometimes essential as soon as I am in differently tuned company, e.g. mountain hut, or accordeons/pipers.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Hear hear!! I don't want to steal Chas' earlier post, above, but I have one of these gems for sale. Nicholson design, rosewood, made by Olwell this year. Ivory inset in the crown. Plays perfectly in tune, clear and loud in a session, and a joy to hold because of its light weight. Comes with a brand-new, padded cloth case.

I will be happy to send a picture and in any case I will be posting a picture or two tomorrow. It was destined to go to Ireland but plans change so I am offering it here for $1,300 + postage of about $25.

What Chas says bears repeating:

My "pry it out of my cold dead hands" flute is an old all-wood Nicholson rosewood by Pat Olwell. I have a fully keyed boxwood version that's close but not quite the same. For my arthritic hands, the weight or lack thereof is wonderful, but there's just something about the way it plays that's different from any other flute I've owned. I agree that the sound is just somehow "woodier."

If Chas objects I will delete his post. Enjoy the holidays and Happy New Year to everybody.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
chas

Post by chas »

No complaints at all, David. I agree with everything I said, and I’m all for great flutes finding homes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Thanks Chas... the flute sold almost instantly.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale