Gabos 6 Keyed Left Hand Flute in D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
thedulcimer
antispam: No

Gabos 6 Keyed Left Hand Flute in D

Post by thedulcimer »

About 6 months ago I received my 6 keyed left hand flute in the key of D. It is made from African blackwood with silver rings and keys. I am very pleased with the sound, look and feel of this flute and wanted to share my experience for any one who is interested in purchasing a flute from Barna Gabos.

The simple yet beautiful look of the flute is what drew my attention initially. But the sound is the most important thing to me about a quality flute. The flute plays easily enough with a very rich sound and texture. The lower octave is very easy to get a good bite for a clear, crisp sound on faster, more powerful tunes. The low D and G are especially easy to "honk" and play strongly even when passing over them briefly as part of a fast tune. But it also lends itself well for slower more emotional tunes with a good buttery, deep sound. The upper octave is crisp and clear with a distinct sweetness to it. I do not find it difficult to play even the highest notes and switching between octaves is very easy. Coming to this flute from my Copley flute I would say this flute is not quite as loud as my other. It does carry plenty of volume, however, and does well in a session. But if you're trying to stand out with volume this may not be the flute for you. The keys work well and the notes all seem very true. I especially love the placement of the Bb key. It parallels the C natural and is much better for me as it would be difficult for me to reach the traditional Bb with my thumb because of how I hold the flute. He can make it the traditional way, of course, if you prefer it. He is very willing to customize according to your needs.

The other point I really want to mention about Mr. Barna Gabos is his tremendous customer service. When I placed my flute order with him, he kept me up to date along the way. When I received my flute I started having trouble with a key (it wasn't that way initially). He took the time to video chat with me on a solution (wow!) and one of the perks of his flutes is that he will fix anything about it for free. I was able to resolve the problem easily and 6 months later I still love this flute.

I have uploaded 2 videos to YouTube if you would like to hear the sound of his flute. See the links below. I also took some pictures but I do not know how to upload them to this post. If anyone knows a way to imbed the photos, please let me know. I hope you enjoyed this post and if you have any questions please let me know.

Sincerely,

Eric

Humours of Lissadell Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7iaxp09sJE

Gallagher's Frolics / The Maid on the Green: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_zvv6M2nRs
jim stone

Re: Gabos 6 Keyed Left Hand Flute in D

Post by jim stone »

Lovely