Feedback on Shannon's tuning (flute made by WD Sweet Flutes)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GreenWood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Re: Feedback on Shannon's tuning (flute made by WD Sweet Flutes)

Post by GreenWood »

Narzog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm
Steve Bliven wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm
I didn't notice anything on Walt's website about the price of the "new" model of either the Shannon or the Sligo flutes. Did I miss something?

Best wishes.

Steve
https://wdsweetflutes.com/sligo.php
On this page (the new model) it says price $595, above the shipping info text. Its a bit greyed out, easy to miss. Same spot on the Shannon page says $275. Which is a very big jump.

Thanks for those links, I had been confused all this time about the Sweet name and history. Music Morneaux claimed continuity from Ralph Sweet and I figured for a while that is where the Sweet outlet was now, including Walt's !

The price difference will be polymer to blackwood I expect, looks like a very nice flute, sounds good on the clips also.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Steve Bliven wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm
I didn't notice anything on Walt's website about the price of the "new" model of either the Shannon or the Sligo flutes. Did I miss something?

Best wishes.

Steve
Narzog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pmhttps://wdsweetflutes.com/sligo.php
On this page (the new model) it says price $595, above the shipping info text. Its a bit greyed out, easy to miss. Same spot on the Shannon page says $275. Which is a very big jump.
I believe those prices were for the "former" versions of the two flutes, not the new models. The Shannon has, as long as I can remember, been priced at $275. Hopefully Walt will drop in with some clarification.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Hi Folks,
Thanks for your kind words about the Shannon. I've learned a few things in recent years, and I really want to go up a level (or two).
I felt the Shannon was priced right, and I'm glad it was an affordable alternative; my cost was lower because the last batch was very big. I didn't feel comfortable tying-up thousands of dollars when sales were tapering off so much, so I let it slide.
Right now, those prices are for the old Sligo. I'll let everybody know when I'm ready to present the new Sligo and the new Clare.
Walt
rogervj
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Post by rogervj »

Hi Walt,
In regard to your upcoming models, I thought I read that you were considering a keyed model? I can’t find the post where you mentioned that…was I dreaming?
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Hi Roger,
Well, I did make some rumblings but found the task daunting. I haven't given up on the idea. I figured-out some good ideas in the past year or so, and wanted to incorporate them into reality in a timely manner (as a keyless flute).
I just bought one of Dad's Firth-Pond flutes with eight keys. There's a guy who was committed for 15 years. Sadly, it was a lot of time and money that didn't pan-out very well. I now know much more about what makes a good flute, but to go "full Monty," I'd have to fit that in to the impending retirement from my State job.