Feedback on Shannon's tuning (flute made by WD Sweet Flutes)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
waltsweet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Feedback on Shannon's tuning (flute made by WD Sweet Flutes)

Post by waltsweet »

Friends of the Flute,
About the tuning of my Shannon flute, I'd like some feedback from experienced players.
Would some players say the tuning is unusual? Especially the pitch of B in the second octave. Of course, I thinks it important always to compare the pitch to related notes. Please let me know. Thanks.
Walt Sweet, WD Sweet Flutes
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Re: Feedback on Shannon's tuning (flute made by WD Sweet Flutes)

Post by Julia Delaney »

I had no issue with the tuning on any Shannon flute I've played. The tuning was very consistent across the octaves.

It is my experience that tuning issues nearly always are the fault of the fluter rather than the flute.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I owned a Shannon a good while ago. I thought it was exceptionally good for a delrin flute and I had no trouble with the tuning. My problem was the B hole was too big. I have a wonky left index and the finger was wobbling in the hole, causing tendinitis. I expect nobody else has this problem. FWIW
rogervj
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Post by rogervj »

I always thought that the tuning on my Shannon was great. I found the tuning of some other makers not as even and used the Shannon as a benchmark.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Walt - the tuning on mine was great (as was the tone and playability). I only sold it to fund a keyed flute

Eric
charley
Tell us something.: Musician for contradances in Baltimore MD. Main instrument is guitar, but currently playing a keyless polymer flute and a tweaked Freeman generation whistle. Interested in technique discussions and flutes for sale.

Post by charley »

I also have had no issues with the tuning of my Shannon flute. I play it nearly every day.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

The tuning's fine. Hole sizes are good for me. I particularly like no cork and the pull-through cleaning this facilitates as well as the short foot without those two useless hole appendices ... being able to keep the flute connected all the time without any effect on the sleek delrin body is a real bonus too. This is a flute with a lot of intelligence gone into it. Unbeatable price too.

Best wishes, Keith.
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Gents,
Thanks for your thoughtful replies and kind words.
I'm working on a new model, so I needed some feedback. Thanks again.
Walt
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I still cannot reach your homepage. That has persisted for a few weeks now. Will it be up again once the new Shannon is ready? Or is it my browser? But I tried it on a couple of different ones to no avail.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

I’m probably late to the party, but in response to your question… I have no issues at all with the Shannon. I play mine daily. If your to ask me if there was anything that needed changing, I would respond “Nope!” When I am looking at other flutes, the Shannon is the standard to which they must rise.
Thank you so much for this wonderful flute.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I'm late her as well but I have a "Shannon" flute and the tuning is really excellent across the board. I'm Looking forward to seeing what you come up with
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Just a thought on discontinuing the Shannon. I haven't played it, but while doing research on flutes for if I want to get into irish flute more, the Shannon has come up a million times. It seems to be excellent, and is more affordable than the other competition. On the website, this new model seems to be significantly more expensive. So if the Shanon is actually much quicker to make and can be priced lower than the new one, I'd consider keeping both models. From my time on the forums, a very large amount of players are on a budget. And flutes like the Shannon are perfect for that. So its sad for it to be discontinued. I wish you the best in whatever option you take.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, I thought the 'old' Shannon impressively good and a good deal.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Narzog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:54 am ....On the website, this new model seems to be significantly more expensive. So if the Shanon is actually much quicker to make and can be priced lower than the new one, I'd consider keeping both models....
I didn't notice anything on Walt's website about the price of the "new" model of either the Shannon or the Sligo flutes. Did I miss something?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Steve Bliven wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm
I didn't notice anything on Walt's website about the price of the "new" model of either the Shannon or the Sligo flutes. Did I miss something?

Best wishes.

Steve
https://wdsweetflutes.com/sligo.php
On this page (the new model) it says price $595, above the shipping info text. Its a bit greyed out, easy to miss. Same spot on the Shannon page says $275. Which is a very big jump.