Within a Mile of Dublin

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Within a Mile of Dublin

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I like to play this Tune although I have not played it in a session more than once
I think it was over in Winston Salem NC at a Session .Jay Ham, knew the Tune as well, no one else did so we just played it with 2 Flutes at a good tempo and I think it sounded pretty nice
Here is Shanta playing this nice Reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJ4_RIizFQ
Mr.Gumby

Re: Within a Mile of Dublin

Post by Mr.Gumby »

One of the old favourites. Felix Doran made a good job of it.

During the seventies we all got it off Barney McKenna. Well, I did anyway.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The tune's a commonplace where I live, although at sessions we're always on tenterhooks because someone might want to play the B section twice. Which is fine, but the specter of a minor trainwreck always looms. We just laugh and play on.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I'm with Mr G on that - Barney was a great source of tunes - one of the few in fact - until Planxty et al came along, which brings me to this [ apologies for the poor sound quality }
https://youtu.be/U38ft9usqC0
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

I think that mine came from Mick O'Brien who played it on the Pipers Rock recording (I used to have a cassette tape of it.)

He played 'My Love is in America' after it. This set is still one of my 'go to' sets
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're right. I had forgotten that one. I may have put the tune on the pipes between that and the Armagh pipers tutor that I started working through in 79/80. I got the lp around that time. I had the tune before that though, on things with strings (no, don't ask).
My brain hurts