Tips for a solid low D on Lesouëf flute.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jenfen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tips for a solid low D on Lesouëf flute.

Post by jenfen »

an seanduine wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:31 pm Here is a picture of Leslie with her two flutes:https://www.leslieanneharrison.com/
The one is, I believe stated to be a Miramatsu. . . .a not shabby Boehm. The other, although no finial is viewable from this angle, again, I believe to be stated as a Lesouef.
The other flute is an Olwell, not a Lesouef.
jenfen

Post by jenfen »

cac wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:28 pm Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Leslie Ann Harrison used to play an Olwell Pratten model to which keys had been added by Maurice Reviol. The odd semi-circular shaped G# key is what indicated that to me, and it is present on this video. Does Solen Lesoeuf make the same shape G# key?
Solen Lesouef makes flutes with block mounted keys. I asked Leslie Ann Harrison on Instagram and she confirmed that it’s an Olwell.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jenfen wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:09 pm I asked Leslie Ann Harrison on Instagram and she confirmed that it’s an Olwell.
Mystery solved then, thanks for that :thumbsup: I should have just waited a few hrs and saved myself a ton of thumb typing :lol:
jenfen

Post by jenfen »

My pleasure. I felt called to get to the bottom of it! I also knew the keyword isn't Lesouef's and the sound isn't like one either.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

Sorry I didn't read the discussion here until just now. Leslie wrote to me in June of 2015: "I play an African blackwood flute made by Patrick Olwell." Chet
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Sorry about the wrong information. Just goes to show how wrong this old man can be. :sniffle:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I also asked Leslie about the flute in question (via the YT video linked above), to which she replied:
My wooden flute is an Olwell Nicholson model.
I’m on the list for a Lesouf keyless flute (due summer 2022) so I’ll be interested in how the low D bell note sounds for me as well.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

stiofan wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:52 pm I’ll be interested in how the low D bell note sounds for me as well.
I have a keyed LeSoeuf in mopane (love it). For me it has a very strong low D, F and G (E not so much). I suspect that a lot of the strong low notes are a result of appropriate embouchure coupled with jaw configuration, shape and strength of lips and associated muscles, and angle of attack for the wind. All of which goes back to long tones with minute modifications to find that sweet spot for each individual. Not sure that the flute is as important as the player in this instance.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I too own a mopane D flute by Solen Lesouef.
I understand she made some design changes just before I received mine in July 2020, but what I experience and heard from other Lesouef players is that her flutes are made to play best with a more downward directed airstream. This can be accomplished by turning the headjoint a bit more in towards you or blow a bit more from above (or both). It took me a while to get used to and also made me relax or widen my embouchure a bit.
I also own a keyless Olwell and switching back and forth really confirms that.

wfiw I play the Lesouef more often (and am expecting a 6-key in the spring :) )
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

Thanks all for great suggestions. I concur with Pixyy above that I am able to get a decent D now with a more downward stream. It may be getting used to the flute, but I have a couple other flutes, by similar popular makers, and was able to get a honking D that I could push and lean into right at the start. Maybe it's also individual lip anatomy.
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

Also, for the record it's an amazing flute and I'm worried it may hijack all my flute playing time :)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I should have mentioned that I do crank the embouchure much further around on the LeSouef than on other flutes. Again, long notes to find that sweet spot and accounting for different jaw/lip structure (mild overbite and relatively thin lips) is what worked for me. But once found, it is a very sweet spot.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

It looks like you've gotten this one taken care of. But I am tempted to ask if this is a keyed or keyless flute. A faulty seal on the Eb key can leave you with a wimpy D, likewise a leaky joint on a two piece body... The question, "Is it me or the flute?" isn't an insult to a maker. Things happen. Leaks can be tested by wrapping teflon tape around the joint or around the body over a hole under a key. If things improve there is a leak somewhere. If you have another flute player nearby having them give it a go will be helpful. I don't know how long we have to air our flutes between players now that covid is an issue though.