Questions and a request for practical advice

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Questions and a request for practical advice

Post by Nanohedron »

Terry McGee wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:39 pm That's Fifty Shades of Grey, Nano....
Which reminds me I haven't read it yet. Meanwhile, please excuse the drift, folks:

Well, let's call it conventional black, then. Seriously, my black sweatshirts and black T shirts, laid side by side, are not the same color, even though they're both undeniably "black". There are subtle things at work, here, and since I am not a dyer, they are beyond my ken. Did you know that some traditional Japanese dyers are obsessed with black, trying to get closer and closer to an ultimate saturation and depth? Of course it'll never be done, because someone will eventually dye something blacker yet. So while I've been known to appreciate a good dash of pedantry from time to time, here I must charge the black-has-no-shades camp with merely holding up a Platonic ideal that dyes us no flutes. If by "shades" we mean albedo, among other things like tints, I dare say the pedants will be unable to produce a physical sample to prove their case.

I can't believe I just ranted about this...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Flutesoftheforest
antispam: No

Re: Questions and a request for practical advice

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

I have made a good number of flute cases in the past. I line the insides with suede pigskin. I have noticed, particularly on newly finished cases, where the soft pads which gently secure the flute in place, there is some lightening of the finish on the flute. All my flutes are 19th C antiques and not recently stained. It seems that there is some "drying out" of the surface oils on the flute into the pigskin. The surface finish on the flute is easily restored with a wipe of instrument "polish", I use a string instrument cleaner polish.