NPU Written Music Collection

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: NPU Written Music Collection

Post by Seanie »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:49 am
Seanie wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:00 am
There's plenty to be gained from the later ones as well. The last one on the list - Ceol Brendan Breathnach - has some fine tunes. I saw that he has a tune called 'Lomanach Cross' which was recorded by Denis Murphy under the title 'The Road to Town' and recently recorded by Carberry and McGovern on their CD Forgotten Gems. A lovely simple tune which would suit the flute well.
Hi John,

IMCO originally depended on the Sibelius plug-in for its notations. When the support for that ended (in my browsert anyway) I more or less dropped out of using it. Terry Moylan put a lot of time and effort into setting it up.

Just had a quick look at the Ceol collection after seeing your post (my own collection of Ceol issues is gapped to say the least: I picked up a lot of early copies Breandán was selling off for 40p and later got some o9ld stock off NPU as well). Lomanach Cross is one of thiose tunes a lot of people would play as a reel but it always leaves a sense of having started out as a fling. Came across a nice version of Miss Langfort (from Sonny Brogan) as well, I learned a version from Bobby Casey and Joe Ryan once but liked this take. Will have to spend some time on that part of it.
Hi Peter

I like Miss Langfort. Was only listening to it yesterday. Liam O'Brien calls it "Joe Dowds" on his CD.

I had a piles of photocopies of photocopies from Ceol issues. Almost illegible. I will have to give this a bit more attention.

Cheers

John
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: NPU Written Music Collection

Post by chas »

Thanks very much for this, Ben!

I'm much more music geek than ITM person. I have a few old collections including a photocopy of the first Neal collection and Joyce. So for me this is a gold mine. I'll be spending many hours going through these.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.