Wenge Wood

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Wenge Wood

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I heard a Video of Martin Doyle playing one of his Flutes in Wenge Wood and he and his Flute sounded very nice.
I'm not familiar with this wood. Does anyone know of Flutes made from this wood and if so how did they sound and look? I believe this Wood is from New Zealand, but I could be wrong.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Wenge Wood

Post by Nanohedron »

Stunningly beautiful wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millettia_laurentii

It comes from Africa, and is listed as endangered. Like blackwood (but only distantly related), it has toxic properties that pose a hazard to the woodworker, and I venture to guess that sensitization is also a likely risk for the fluteplayer.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Fine for things like guitar backs and sides, but I wouldn’t play a flute made from the stuff, or work with it.

https://www.wood-database.com/wenge/

“Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, breathing Wenge wood dust has been reported to cause central nervous system effects, abdominal cramps, irritation of the skin and eyes, and is a sensitizer. Also, Wenge splinters tend to take longer to heal and are more likely to go septic (get infected) than splinters from other woods. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.”
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Some guitar makers aren't necessarily thrilled, either. Can look good, have good tonal properties, but also splinters easily in working, particularly bending sides.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Loren wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:20 pm Fine for things like guitar backs and sides, but I wouldn’t play a flute made from the stuff, or work with it.

https://www.wood-database.com/wenge/

“Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, breathing Wenge wood dust has been reported to cause central nervous system effects, abdominal cramps, irritation of the skin and eyes, and is a sensitizer. Also, Wenge splinters tend to take longer to heal and are more likely to go septic (get infected) than splinters from other woods. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.”
That's show biz!
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

i use Wange, it's from Africa, beautiful wood, brittle and very splintery.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Well yes then I'll take 5 Flutes made of Wenge with extra splinters!

Just kidding of course. I would guess if some well know Makers are making Flutes out of Wenge Wood, its a safe wood to use and maybe to work with
paddler

Post by paddler »

On the music page on Martin Doyle's website there is a lovely track of Desi Wilkinson playing the air My Lagan Love
on a Martin Doyle flute made from Yew wood. :really:

http://www.martindoyleflutes.com/music.html

Now that is another wood that makes me nervous. I have had a large, lovely looking, Pacific Yew log in my wood store
for years, but have been too worried to do anything with it after reading about its toxicity issues. I was surprised to
find a flute made from it. I wonder if Martin uses some kind of barrier finish on such flutes?
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Here's Martin Doyle playing his Kiwi Celt Flute Model, which I believe is made of Wenge Wood
Nice playing by Martin on a lovely looking and sounding flute

scroll down the page a bit to see the Video

https://www.gandharvaloka.ie/product/ma ... enge-wood/
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I used to make flutes from wenge many years ago, but while it is a handsome wood, it is (as has already been stated) brittle and prone to giving nasty splinters. I found that it's disadvantages outweighed it's nice appearance. There are lots of excellent woods for flute making that are more pleasant to work with.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

paddler wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 pm On the music page on Martin Doyle's website there is a lovely track of Desi Wilkinson playing the air My Lagan Love

Now that is another wood that makes me nervous. I have had a large, lovely looking, Pacific Yew log in my wood store
for years, but have been too worried to do anything with it after reading about its toxicity issues. I was surprised to
find a flute made from it. I wonder if Martin uses some kind of barrier finish on such flutes?
Phil Bleazey has also been known to make flutes from it. I don't have a yew flute of his, but he put no finish at all on the boxwood flute I got from him. I've made whistles from it. I also eat the berries, which are quite tasty. Spit the seeds out without chewing them, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

paddler wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 pm On the music page on Martin Doyle's website there is a lovely track of Desi Wilkinson playing the air My Lagan Love

That particular track by Desi Wilkinson also appears on his album "Shady Woods", as well as on volume 2 of Wooden Flute Obsession. Probably his was made of European Yew, a close relative with similar characteristics.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
barna

Post by barna »

The hardness is probably good enough for making flute from it. Its got quiet big pores so I think the pores has to be filled up. There are many great tone woods beside blackwood but you never would think that performs as good as the grenadil.
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

In my other musical life playing Turkish oud, wenge is a very popular wood among Turkish luthiers for the strips used in oud bowls and necks. Looks lovely on its own or alternated with another wood like maple or padauk. It's also used by some Greek bouzouki makers for the fingerboards of their cheaper instruments. I briefly had a trichordo bouzouki with a wenge fingerboard. Nothing wrong with it, but as others have mentioned, the pores were huge.

While there are some great woods out there that arguably deserve to be more widely used for flutes (as well as the possibilities of wood/paper pulp laminates like trespa or richlite), wenge wouldn't be my first choice.