Breton players/recordings

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Breton players/recordings

Post by stiofan »

I'm interested in exploring the Breton flute tradition. About all I know is that Jean Michel Veillon, Sylvain Barou, and Erwan Menguy are prominent players in Brittany. What would be good 'gateway' recordings (maybe one for each), and are there other noteworthy flute players to acquaint myself with?

I've just ordered a new flute from Solen Lesouf, so figured it's as good a time as any to delve into the Breton tradition.

Stephen
crickett

Re: Breton players/recordings

Post by crickett »

Veillon's two solo albums are E Koad Nizan and Er Pasker. Both are incredible.

There is an album with Veillon and Yvon Riou called Pont Gwenn ha Pont Stang, which is also great.

Albums by the groups Barzan and Kornog are good and interesting, though the later band is less traditional.

Finally there is a very cool album that is super flute focused called Bro Dreger VIII. It is hard to find but you can listen to the tracks here: https://www.ksl-ccb.bzh/editions-embann ... en-tregor/
Leemac
Tell us something.: Lifelong Irish music enthusiast and experienced flute & whistle player. Love talking anything flute or music related.

Post by Leemac »

Jean-Luc Thomas is a brilliant Breton flute player - his solo albums and his work with Kej are worth listening to. In terms of other great Breton flute players there's also Yannig Alory who played with Carré Manchot, and Hervé Guillo with Storvan.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Thanks crickett & Leemac. I'll check out those players/recordings.

Are there any particular flute-oriented tunes you might suggest learning to play to get familiar with the Breton tradition, on a keyless flute?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Additional sources include:
- John Skelton's booklet "Some Breton Tunes", which comes with a CD I believe.
- Breizh Partitions www.celticscores.com/sheet-music/20_An_Alarc’h
- David Surette's "Traditional Breton Dance Tunes - Fest Breizh" www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/traditiona ... c/19898920 among other sources
- this discussion from theSession.org https://thesession.org/discussions/4405

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

Thanks Steve –– lots of good resources there to choose from. Much appreciated.
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

stiofan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:48 pm I'm interested in exploring the Breton flute tradition. About all I know is that Jean Michel Veillon, Sylvain Barou, and Erwan Menguy are prominent players in Brittany. What would be good 'gateway' recordings (maybe one for each), and are there other noteworthy flute players to acquaint myself with?
You can add Malo Carvou and Erwan Hamon to your list. :wink:
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

Bran Ruz wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am
stiofan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:48 pm I'm interested in exploring the Breton flute tradition. About all I know is that Jean Michel Veillon, Sylvain Barou, and Erwan Menguy are prominent players in Brittany. What would be good 'gateway' recordings (maybe one for each), and are there other noteworthy flute players to acquaint myself with?
You can add Malo Carvou and Erwan Hamon to your list. :wink:
Thanks Bran -- I'll check them out as well.
Leemac
Tell us something.: Lifelong Irish music enthusiast and experienced flute & whistle player. Love talking anything flute or music related.

Post by Leemac »

stiofan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:10 am Thanks crickett & Leemac. I'll check out those players/recordings.

Are there any particular flute-oriented tunes you might suggest learning to play to get familiar with the Breton tradition, on a keyless flute?
Apologies for my very late response to this. I used to have a lovely collection of Breton tunes that I taught to my flute students. I'll see if I can remember/dig them out. If I'm successful I'll happily share them here.

In the meantime, a good starting point to get used to the tonality and rhythmic characteristics of Breton music this Gavotte: https://thesession.org/tunes/9428 (if you're going to follow the notation use the second version down). It's a commonly enough known tune as Lúnasa recorded it: https://youtu.be/chXlu-XiYJE It's a 'ton tripl' which refers to its 3 part structure - something you'll encounter a lot in the tradition.

It's a good stepping stone before attempting to replicate the likes of Jean-Michel Veillon or Jean-Luc Thomas. For a more authentic reference of what a Breton gavotte sounds like, Jean-Michel Veillon's "Gavotenn bro Pourlet" on Er Pasker is a great track (though obviously much more of a virtuosic flute performance).
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

Leemac wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:57 am
stiofan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:10 am Thanks crickett & Leemac. I'll check out those players/recordings.

Apologies for my very late response to this. I used to have a lovely collection of Breton tunes that I taught to my flute students. I'll see if I can remember/dig them out. If I'm successful I'll happily share them here.

In the meantime, a good starting point to get used to the tonality and rhythmic characteristics of Breton music this Gavotte: https://thesession.org/tunes/9428 (if you're going to follow the notation use the second version down). It's a commonly enough known tune as Lúnasa recorded it: https://youtu.be/chXlu-XiYJE It's a 'ton tripl' which refers to its 3 part structure - something you'll encounter a lot in the tradition.

It's a good stepping stone before attempting to replicate the likes of Jean-Michel Veillon or Jean-Luc Thomas. For a more authentic reference of what a Breton gavotte sounds like, Jean-Michel Veillon's "Gavotenn bro Pourlet" on Er Pasker is a great track (though obviously much more of a virtuosic flute performance).
Thanks Leemac. I'll give De La Montagne a go this weekend, though that pesky G# will take some work getting on my keyless flute. Oh, and I'd forgotten, there's another Breton tune I used to play on whistle that Lunasa had recorded on their first record: https://thesession.org/tunes/2081. If you get around to tracking down that Breton collection you have, it would be great to see what's in it.