Carbony flute with silver flute spacing

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
karl
antispam: No

Carbony flute with silver flute spacing

Post by karl »

I'm thinking of buying a Carbony flute that has the silver flute spacing via chimney extenders. Does anyone own one of these or played one? What is your opinion of them?

Here is a link to the flute.
Conical bore
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Carbony flute with silver flute spacing

Post by Conical bore »

I can't give feedback on that exact model, but I did just take delivery on a Carbony flute in low Bb. I want to post a full review at some point but I'm still getting used to the embouchure (definitely me, not the flute) and training my fingers to where the tone holes are, before writing that up.

Anyway, I can at least comment on a few things as a first impression. The build quality is very good. Nice clean cuts on the embouchure and tone holes. The parts fit together using lightly greased O-rings on the stainless steel sleeves, a different approach but it seems to work well. Intonation is very good, with the typical "flat foot" of a 19th-century type conical bore, but manageable the same as with a D flute.

I'm on record as preferring wooden flutes, but the aesthetics here are growing on me. Instead of a direct imitation of a blackwood flute with silver rings, the carbon fiber weave at the surface combined with stainless steel is an "honest" presentation for a flute in a synthetic material. I like it.

The weight was a bit heavier than I expected, but in retrospect it shouldn't have been surprising. I tend to think of carbon fiber products being super lightweight, but the bore of this flute is thick like a wooden flute, presumably to have the same chimney height at the embouchure and tone holes as a wooden flute. And also to allow angled-drilled tone holes to control the reach on those Carbony models. I wouldn't call it a heavy flute, it's probably very similar to a wood flute at this sounding length.

About the only thing that I'm having a small amount of trouble with is the glossy and somewhat slippery surface finish. I'm used to more of a semi-matte surface on my wooden D flute, but I'm getting more comfortable with holding it. I suspect it may dull down a little over time at the contact points with my hands.

So that's all I can say for now. It's an excellent value for the price and it arrived just a few weeks after placing the order. If I was looking for an invulnerable keyless D flute for travel, I'd strongly consider getting a Carbony in that size.
karl

Post by karl »

Conical bore wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 am I can't give feedback on that exact model, but I did just take delivery on a Carbony flute in low Bb. I want to post a full review at some point but I'm still getting used to the embouchure (definitely me, not the flute) and training my fingers to where the tone holes are, before writing that up.
Thanks for this initial review of your Carbony flute in low Bb. Very helpful!
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

karl wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:05 am
Conical bore wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 am I can't give feedback on that exact model, but I did just take delivery on a Carbony flute in low Bb. I want to post a full review at some point but I'm still getting used to the embouchure (definitely me, not the flute) and training my fingers to where the tone holes are, before writing that up.
I'll completely agree with Conical bore's comments. I had (briefly) a standard Carbony D. Solidly built, snapped together well. Heavy, heavy, heavy - not at all like their high whistles (have a C & and D) which are feather-light. The weight was unexpected. It sounded OK, but not as much to my liking as nearly any wood flute, or a Delrin one from Garry Somers, Jon Cornia, Dave Copley, or even a Seery. Just missing something to me, and as it was not as good a value for $$ as the ones I mention, I sold it. I would not buy again.

In your stated location (UK), may I suggest you consider whether you could be satisfied with a flute from Damian Thompson ( https://www.thompsonflutes.com/ ), Francois Baubet ( http://www.francoisbaubet.com/p/blog-page.html ) or Vincenzo Di Mauro ( http://www.vdmflutes.com/UK/Reperesuk.html ) or ( http://www.vdmflutes.com/UK/Delrinuk.html ). Of course, those 3 (and Seery) are all in Ireland (EU) with whatever attendant problems that may have for trade after Brexit.

A Copley ( http://www.copleyflutes.com/catalog.html ) flute is an extremely good choice if you are willing to import from the U.S. (no Free Trade agreement with the UK).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
karl

Post by karl »

kkrell wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:43 am
karl wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:05 am
I'll completely agree with Conical bore's comments.....

Kevin Krell
Thanks for your input Kevin, very helpful. I have a wooden flute (Millyard) but stumbled across the Carbony on google. I was intrigued by the close finger spacing and wondered how it played.

Karl.