Info on 'Klingson' Flute/Piccolo

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rykirk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Info on 'Klingson' Flute/Piccolo

Post by rykirk »

I just purchased a piccolo/fife online marked 'Klingson'. Hard to find much info about these. It is a one keyed piccolo or fife in ebony and the seller claimed it fingers like a baroque traverso. They said it came from a shop in the Netherlands and the shop told them it was new old stock and possibly dates to the 1950s.

It's in the mail now so I can't confirm anything else, but grateful for any info on this instrument or the brand.
rykirk
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Re: Info on 'Klingson' Flute/Piccolo

Post by rykirk »

https://ibb.co/w7kxJ3v

Image is here.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A quick search throws up several entries for 'Klingson'-Hammerschmidt, flutes, clarinets etc. made in Bergau, Bavaria, by Karl Hammerschmidt.
Hammershcmidt-Klingson pride themselves on building the highest quality woodwind instruments and have been doing so since 1873, with each instrument being play tested, tuned and checked personally by a member of the Hammerschmidt family.
My brain hurts

rykirk

Post by rykirk »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:48 am A quick search throws up several entries for 'Klingson'-Hammerschmidt, flutes, clarinets etc. made in Bergau, Bavaria, by Karl Hammerschmidt.
Hammershcmidt-Klingson pride themselves on building the highest quality woodwind instruments and have been doing so since 1873, with each instrument being play tested, tuned and checked personally by a member of the Hammerschmidt family.
Thanks, it seems like they haven't produced anything like this instrument in quite some time. Their current offering of flutes are drastically modernized instruments. Really curious what exactly this piece I have is. I suspect it will prove to be the German equivalent of a Sears instrument or similar? The seller said it was a good player tho and it cost less than a good bottle of Scotch, so I'm optimistic I'll get my money's worth.