looking to buy my first Irish flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
siennawright
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Aspiring to learn the irish flute! Hoping to learn how to buy a good instrument and start practicing.

looking to buy my first Irish flute

Post by siennawright »

Hello forum community! I am hoping to soon buy my first irish flute. I have been learning the classical flute a bit. I live in the U.S. and have looked at a lot of the stores that make them in the states, but they are out of stock, and have a wait list. I am wondering how everyone feels about McNeela in Ireland? I like how the African Blackwood sounds. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am eager to start soon.
tstermitz

Re: looking to buy my first Irish flute

Post by tstermitz »

Others will pipe in shortly.

Keep an eye on The Irish Flute Store:
https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... usly-owned

Be a little patient... Wait for the one you want, as it will come along.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I'm also in the U.S. and I've had several positive transactions with the Irish Flute Store linked above. It's a good source for secondhand flutes from reputable makers if you're looking for a wooden flute and want to avoid a waiting list.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Siennawright, welcome! And, what they said. The Irish Flute Store is a great place to look.

Be patient in finding a flute and in learning to play, take advantage of the information on this forum, and enjoy your journey!
blueblade
Tell us something.: I love Irish music and the making of Irish music. I'm new to it all, and want to become involved in the Irish music community.

Post by blueblade »

If you're looking for a keyless flute, Dave Copley makes an excellent one and his wait times are not too long. http://www.copleyflutes.com/catalog.html
Leemac
Tell us something.: Lifelong Irish music enthusiast and experienced flute & whistle player. Love talking anything flute or music related.

Post by Leemac »

I recommend McNeela flutes to my beginner students as they're great value for the price. My own flute is a Martin Doyle which I always recommend if people can afford them as they're incredibly easy to play - bit more of a long term investment. I've played that African Blackwood myself though (not sure if I'm allowed to post links as I'm still a bit new here, but this is the one I'm referring to: https://mcneelamusic.com/wind/mcneela-a ... lined-box/) and it's a good flute for the price - nice and resonant and not too tough to play. I've played all the McNeela flutes at one point or another if you have any questions about them.
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

I would second Dave Copley too.
Also Terry McGee has an available flutes section on his page, if you're short on time.