Funk good in Music, but not in Flute :(

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Funk good in Music, but not in Flute :(

Post by Ben Shaffer »

So I bought a used Blackwood Flute and its got that Funk smell!
The soft case it came in really smelled bad and the Flute as well but to a lesser extent
I took the case out to our Out building to never again be used with this Flute
I gently swabed out the bore of the Flute with Hydrogen Peroxide and then used some Sweet Almond Oil.
The Flute is now resting in a Plastic Tray
The Flute is from one of our Well Know Makers and in spite of the smell sounds wonderful!
Any magic ,gentle cleaning Tips?
Last edited by Ben Shaffer on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
an seanduine

Re: Funk good in Music, but not in Flute :(

Post by an seanduine »

I use a blend of jojoba and Rose Absolute essential oil. Available ready made by Auracacia. Very light smell of roses. The jojoba does not oxidize.

Bob

edit to add: You could add your favorite essential oil to the Sweet Almond.
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I'm not playing around into my quest of getting rid of this smell!
Ive used Almond Oil as well H2O2 in the Bore
Its helped some, but not completely
That said I've introduced a very light dusting of Baking Soda into the Bore, so I'm hoping that will be the Game Changer ! :D
I am avoiding any harsh chemicals :poke:
As well, I'm not overlooking treating the Finger Holes and Embouchure
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Alcohol? I recall that one maker uses it on flutes returned for service. I used it on a used blackwood that had what I think was tobacco smoke smell. Then gave it good oiling of course.
Will peroxide or soda remove anything or just change it's chemistry and leave the result in place?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Play the thing daily a good deal, and wait.
jwp
Tell us something.: Love me some Irish music. Looking for a place to sell a few flutes.

The 100 character minimum seems a bit of overkill. Do you really have that much of a problem with spammers? Ex-web programmer here…

Post by jwp »

Wondering if it is mildew?
Tea tree oil has a fairly strong but not obnoxious odor itself but has good anti-fungal properties.
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

The Culprit for the bad smell is likely as a result of the Flute bore not being cleaned after being played.
Ive seen this in Clarinets as well.
Likely bacteria or mold of some kind
I really gave the H2O2, and baking Soda a try, but I think you really need something that will neutralize Bacteria or Mold and then of course you eliminate the smell
There is Sterisol which is used by Instrument repair People, but I'm not sure I would want to put into the Bore.
I know its used alot for cleaning Hard Rubber Mouthpieces, but there again Ive used Vinegar for that.
So I put a small amount of Isopropyl Alcohol on a cloth into the Bore.
I believe its got some antimicrobial properties, so it should work.
I'll do one more treatment with the alcohol, then Sweet Almond Oil, leave the Flute exposed to Air and call it a Day :sleep:
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

2 applications of Rubbing Alcohol totally removed the smell :)