Regarding Mailing a Flute from England to the US

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Regarding Mailing a Flute from England to the US

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Well, I seem to be getting back into Fluting.
Ive got my Eye on a Flute in Birmingham, England
The store, and this is not their Mail order Department says shipping should be about 79 Pounds!
I'm looking to email the Mail Order Department and see what they say
This seems like a lot
Anyone know what the Shipping should be in general?
Does 79 Pounds seem about right?
General Post, the best option?
or maybe FedEx ?
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Re: Regarding Mailing a Flute from England to the US

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

It depends upon the value of the flute and whether they are including insurance (likely). When I ship to the U.K. from California, I use USPS Priority Mail and that is $65 without insurance. If you are talking about a flute that costs more than $1000 and insurance is being added, that can jump quite a bit. It would be easy to hit the $100 mark if it is a valuable flute, which is pretty close to the 79 pounds.
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

Well, a lot of factors can be at play, but I was quoted a shipping price of 33GBP a couple of months ago for an order of a composite flute and extra headjoint that totaled about 750GBP. I ended up going a different route but that seemed reasonable. Seems like you'd have to have a lot of insurance involved to get up to 79
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

A keyed flute with a declared value of $3000 would cost me 83 pounds ($112) to ship to the U.K. I don't know what the ticket price is of the flute the O.P. has their eye on, and if it is a $500 flute then the shipping charge is rather high, but they may also have added in some "handling" charges.