Covid flute masks

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Covid flute masks

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It was only a matter of time and here they are:

:)

[Add:]

Looking around further I found these are perhaps not as novel as I initially thought when posting this, Etsy is awash with them:

My brain hurts

BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Re: Covid flute masks

Post by BKWeid »

Now my brain hurts...
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

No thanks. Reduced volume and trouble breathing? Check. Not a solution to condensation drips? Check.

In the early phase of the pandemic I thought about using a clear plastic face shield, the kind used in addition to a mask in hospitals. I tried it because we had one lying around from a friend whose company manufactured them. It didn't work. Too much sound was reflected back, making it hard to hear anything else, and it didn't do much to limit airflow except aim it a little more towards the floor. As for protection from others, a face shield without a mask isn't much protection at all from aerosols.

What works for woodwind players is everyone in the group being vaccinated. My fiddler S.O. and I are having some friends over for a kitchen session tomorrow, a piper and whistler. We're all vaccinated. We're going to have fun without wearing masks.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Conical bore wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:20 am What works for woodwind players is everyone in the group being vaccinated. My fiddler S.O. and I are having some friends over for a kitchen session tomorrow, a piper and whistler. We're all vaccinated. We're going to have fun without wearing masks.
Not looking to have this going off on this track, the thread was meant as some light entertainment, a brief moment of levity, but lets keep it clear that vaccination works as well as it works. Efficacy against currently dominant variants is between 70 and 80% for mRna vaccines, lower for some others (AstraZeneca etc), depending on where you look and on various circumstances. Efficacy wanes over time. But in a lot of cases vaccination reduces effects when you do get infected. It is not a full protection and care still needs to be taken. It's the best we have though perhaps not as a stand alone option.
My brain hurts

Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

Take up the box or Highland pipes. By the time you can play without causing a stampede and emptying the room- the pandemic will have been long over.
Problem solved.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Seamie wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:48 am Take up the box or Highland pipes. By the time you can play without causing a stampede and emptying the room- the pandemic will have been long over.
Problem solved.
That's a thought. I bought a WARBL recently to play fake pipe tunes at home (playing it like a whistle), and I have a good portable PA system I've used for gigs. The WARBL is much, much easier to play than real pipes, but I'm still at the level where I can probably generate a stampede by poor playing at high volume.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I bought a mandoln because I can play the mandolin masked, in a group setting. Still working hard on the flute, but only at home
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:43 am It was only a matter of time and here they are:
Trouble is Mr Gumby that, as you hint in the OP, the time has long passed. These below are from 2 July 2020 and there was a flute mask on the site linked from the Classic FM page. (https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/co ... musicians/)

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I lead a sheltered life, apparently.

:tomato:
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I'm off to Ireland for ten days on October 19. Ireland has extremely high vaccination rates, the highest in Europe I think, which is great. I'll be in Dublin, Derry and the Glenties area and then down to Wexford to visit my wife's cousins.

Should I expect pubs and restaurants to be open? Should I bring a flute in case I find a tolerant session somewhere?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Restrictions in the North have ended, the Republic is easing as we go, aiming to end restrictions on 21 Octtober. Restaurants are allowed open but you'll need proof of immunity. Best look at gov.ie or Citizens information for the latest.

Fluteplayers have been spotted in the wild in recent days, unmasked and all, but YMMV:

My brain hurts

PB+J

Post by PB+J »

That sounds promising. I'll have gotten a Pfizer booster by then. Archives all look to be open