Received my keyed Jay Ham

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BKWeid
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Received my keyed Jay Ham

Post by BKWeid »

I received my 8 key Jay Ham yesterday and wanted to share some pictures and thoughts.

First, working with Jay has been enjoyable. He’s a great guy—excellent customer service. He put up with my questions, odd requests, and responded to my emails quickly.

The flute, in cocobolo with silver bands and keys, is a Rudall pattern with medium holes. I had a keyless in this same wood for over a year—no issues with allergies. I loved the way the keyless played, so I placed this order. I was about 14 months to delivery, partly delayed by additional requests I made and Jays addition of striking Rose Engine turned rings.

The flute is absolutely gorgeous. His work is meticulous with amazing attention to detail. He included a beautiful wood box and a turned wood cylinder cork grease container—blackwood, I believe.

The flute plays and sounds like my beloved keyless Jay Ham. Wonderful tone and balance between octaves. A sweet upper octave and powerful low end. It is light, slender, and balanced to hold. The keys are exquisite in workmanship and the touches work well. Although I have only dabbled in keys recently and have only played a handful of keyed flutes, his keys and touches are a beautiful addition to the flute, delicate in appearance. Threaded stopper adjustment works as intended.

I couldn’t be more pleased. The flute is an heirloom, to me.

I have no relationship or business with Jay, aside from being a pleased customer.

Pictures to follow:
jim stone

Re: Received my keyed Jay Ham

Post by jim stone »

Congratulations! Pictures definitely.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

A few of BKWeid's pictures:

ASSEMBLED
Hi-Res: http://worldtrad.org/JayHamAssy_lg.jpg

OVERALL
Hi-Res: http://worldtrad.org/JayHamOverall_lg.jpg

ROSE ENGINE TURNED END CAP/CORK ADJUSTER
Hi-Res: http://worldtrad.org/JayHamCap_lg.jpg

EMBOUCHURE
Hi-Res: http://worldtrad.org/JayHamEmb_lg.jpg

FOOTJOINT
Hi-Res: http://worldtrad.org/JayHamFoot_lg.jpg

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

stunning
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

You can see and feel the work put into making that flute. A friend once showed me an original early electric guitar, a Fender if I remember. It was very simple but it just spoke of the moments it was made, and was unlike any other I had, or have since, seen.

:thumbsup:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

BKWeid wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:45 pm It was about 14 months to delivery, partly delayed by additional requests I made and Jays addition of striking Rose Engine turned rings.
Fourteen months for an eight-key with all that work is pretty darn quick compared with many other makers. I'm guessing that will change with more laudatory reviews like this. Congratulations of a lovely appearing instrument. Would love to try one someday (when it's safe to share again).

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jenfen

Post by jenfen »

Gorgeous! I’d love to hear how it sounds.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Jenfen, it has the most incredible rich, complex, warm and woodsy tone. (The head is partially lined.) I’m continually amazed. And, as with my keyless, the intonation is perfect to my ear. I’m doing the break-in thing. Give me a few days and I’ll send you or post some sound samples.

Thank you for ALL for your kind comments.
jenfen

Post by jenfen »

Could you post a sound sample?
BKWeid

Post by BKWeid »

Yes, I'll work on some sound samples to post.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

That's really beautiful. I'd be nervous about Cocobolo--i worked with it for a while making guitar fretboards and pretty quickly developed a really nasty allergic reaction to it, practically narcotic in intensity, but that was the sawdust, and you've had no problems with it, so great--it's really beautiful wood

Congratulations and thank you for sharing the information!
BKWeid

Post by BKWeid »

PB+J, agreed. I know this has been much discussed--wood allergies. It is a serious topic to be understood.

Cocobolo is known to be bad stuff. I've worked with it in my wood shop, on occasion, over the years, mostly building small woodworking tools and such as it was only obtainable in small pieces. It has never yet bothered me, knock on wood (see what I did there...) I also know, walking into specialty shops for woodturning and other hardwood vendors in the last 30 years, that all kinds of wood in the rosewood family is passed as cocobolo when it may not be. Although, all rosewoods can be allergenic, most are not so bad, in my opinion. I would say old growth cocobolo (highly protected and regulated now--rightly so) is different from what is often sold as cocobolo now.

The wood from this flute looks and smells to be of the dalbergia group. It doesn't look like cocobolo I've encountered in the past--cocobolo I've seen (pre-ban and from Brazil) has brightly contrasting colors, shades of reds and oranges mixed with beautiful browns with rays of nearly black--When freshly cut--darkens over time. This wood looks less like the cocobolo I've seen and worked with in the past and more like a rosewood. I'm not completely certain that it is cocobolo. I know Jay Ham spoke with someone with knowledge, a long time flute maker, who believed it was cocobolo and I'm not questioning that Jay received it as cocobolo. Nevertheless, the keyless I had never caused me a problem and it is from wood similar (I believe) to this keyed flute. I've also owned and played wooden "cocobolo" whistles for many years without a reaction.

My strategy, as mentioned on C&F previously by others, is to carefully remove any dust from the flute (there was none) by wiping it down. I also regularly swab the bore to remove any residual and have carefully begun an almond oil protocol. I also have a high grade (non toxic) furniture wax that I have used. In this case, I would apply the wax to the area my mouth and chin might contact, let it dry and then buff it slightly--repeat. The intent would be to build a barrier (like the superglue method) between the wood and my skin.

I haven't experienced any reaction at all so far. I'll keep you posted. Crossing my fingers that I can play this flute forever!

I'm working on busting out recordings. I did email one out to someone that requested. The flute has or is capable of amazing tone. While I am the player I am at the current stage I am, (not in any way a polished musician), the recordings made with my iPhone are bland and not representative of the flute, to my ear. I'm looking for a solution for a better quality recording. I hate to share recordings that discourage people from inquiring with Jay about potential flute purchases. I'm happy to email sound samples and tunes that I have recorded thus far to anyone who requests.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org