F Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BKWeid
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

F Flute

Post by BKWeid »

Thoughts, recommendations on a top shelf F flute?
an seanduine

Re: F Flute

Post by an seanduine »

Check with Tony Milyard. Please note he makes Marching Band flutes tuned to A=452 Hz. This may not be for you. However, he also makes traditional flutes pitched at A=440, and occasionally has flutes in F on hand.

Bob

edit to add: I see Dave Copley also offers flutes in F.
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have an M&E keyless 'delrin' type in 'F', nice player, quite loud, but also quite heavy - cost about £200 when bought a few years ago, not sure if you would call that top shelf....
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I have a lovely one from Hammy, but he is not taking orders. I also have a (Ralph or Walt?) Sweet one (available for sale...) which is nice too, though I like the Hammy more. The difference in price is reflected in their quality.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

I have one of Dave Copley's in delrin. It is awesome!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

John Gallagher - the best F flute I've ever played.

Lots of people are playing the Carbony F flutes, which are a good price - I think in large part because Sean Gavin plays one.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I've personally been curious about F flutes by Millyard, Lejeune, Copley, and Gabos (there's one on irishflutestore). Maybe I'll order one someday...

If you're on FB, here's Kevin Crawford playing a Lejeune: https://www.facebook.com/kevin.crawford ... 9198756588.
Life is good.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I've heard great things about the Gallagher F flutes--I wonder what a typical wait list time might be. I've also heard great things about the Copley.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and recommendations.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

The best way to find out the waiting time is to contact John Gallagher.

I honestly don't think you can get a better F flute - probably you can get ones equally as good.
Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

It is my fortune to be the proud owner of an original 8 key Rudall and Rose F flute from 1832. It is an absolute corker!!!!!
BKWeid

Post by BKWeid »

Flutesoftheforest, wow. What a treasure, indeed. I wonder what venue would have used an F flute in that era? Orchestra?
Flutesoftheforest

I would have thought that most early to mid 19th century flutes were intended for orchestral or at least band use.

There are more tenor Bb flutes by Rudall and Rose that have survived than F flutes. In fact I know of no other 8 key F flutes by R&R!

It is only in the 20th century that these early flutes were adopted and adapted for ITM.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Flutesoftheforest

An 8-key version of an F flute does seem unusual. Back in those days, one tended to see flutes made for military purposes, and flutes made for concert purposes (hence the expression "concert flute"). Military flutes were in the keys Bb, Eb and F (to go with the brass instruments). They were cheaply made, in boxwood with (typically 4) brass keys and fittings, whereas concert flutes were in D (xxx xxx), in cocus with silver fittings, until later when German (nickel) silver snuck in.

BUT, there were exceptions, and perhaps yours is one. Sometimes military flute players reached a level of performance that they were sought after as concert performers (they had jumped the fence!) and so they needed flutes with wider range and the full key compliment.

Tell us more about your flute. Cocus? Silver keys? Serial no and address?
Flutesoftheforest

My Rudall and Rose F flute is #2021. The address is No. 15 Piazza, Covent Garden, London. It is cocuswood with ivory rings and ferrules. I have a R&R D flute in the same style (#3632) which is medium /small holes. They are a stylistic match to the tenor Bb flutes you (Terry McGee) saw at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester on your tour some years back. Because I have links with the RNCM I was able to access their collection and photograph the three flutes (F, D and Bb) together. If you were interested I could email you a copy of the image. I find putting images onto C&F such a pain!