F Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: F Flute

Post by Terry McGee »

Flutesoftheforest wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:27 am My Rudall and Rose F flute is #2021. The address is No. 15 Piazza, Covent Garden, London. It is cocuswood with ivory rings and ferrules. I have a R&R D flute in the same style (#3632) which is medium /small holes. They are a stylistic match to the tenor Bb flutes you (Terry McGee) saw at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester on your tour some years back.
Ah, so more in this style:

(This one the 6-key Bb from RNCM Manchester) Clearly a much up-market flute from the military boxwood and brass instruments.
Because I have links with the RNCM I was able to access their collection and photograph the three flutes (F, D and Bb) together. If you were interested I could email you a copy of the image. I find putting images onto C&F such a pain!
Always interested in interesting flutes, so yes please! terry@mcgee-flutes.com
Flexismart
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

I have this cocus and silver Hawkes & Co flute that was restored by Hammy Hamilton:

It's nice player. The long f key was lost and the hole has been plugged. Hammy made a new adjustable crown cap, and reworked the embouchure.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Does the Hawkes play at 440? Are there tuning issues with F flutes so that era. They sure are beautiful antiques.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

The Hawkes & Co does play in 440, but the tuning slide needs to be out a ways - 12 or 13 mm.

I received it in pretty rough shape and sent it right off to Hammy for an overhaul. He re-shaped the embouchure and worked on the tuning (internal/external). It's pretty smooth after a 10 min warm up. It feels great in the hands...responsive, dynamic. I've used it quite a lot in a Scottish Country Dance band.