Casey Burns Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ripleywm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: 50 something piper interested in whistles. I live in NE Georgia in the USA. I started in Florida about 30 years ago, but I have had several long hiatuses. I've been playing seriously for about 3 years now.

Casey Burns Flute

Post by ripleywm »

Greetings,

Scottish smallpiper and flute novice here. I recently bought a Casey Burns flute from a random Craigslist ad. I had my piping/whistle instructor check with one of her flute buddies before I bought it so I'm fairly confident it's a decent instrument, but I wouldn't mind some opinions from some folks who play these things all the time. Also, I'd be grateful for some direction towards care of this instrument.

Cheers,

budding flutist,

Bill

stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: Casey Burns Flute

Post by stiofan »

I've had a few CB folk flutes over the years, and now have an older (~circa. 2000) standard in blackwood, but w/o tuning slide or rings. I like the all-wood-edness of this one a lot (I also have a fully-lined flute w/slide by another maker) Casey's flutes are easy players with very forgiving embouchure cuts. Can't quite tell from the pic, but looks like it might have his ergonomic hole configuration, which a lot of people appreciate. Interesting grain pattern on that flute, at first glance thought it was cracked.
Here's his care instructions: https://caseyburnsflutes.com/flutecare.pdf
(oddly, not on the website any longer)
Enjoy!
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

stiofan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:03 pmInteresting grain pattern on that flute, at first glance thought it was cracked.
Looks like olivewood to me.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
ripleywm
Tell us something.: 50 something piper interested in whistles. I live in NE Georgia in the USA. I started in Florida about 30 years ago, but I have had several long hiatuses. I've been playing seriously for about 3 years now.

Post by ripleywm »

stiofan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:03 pm Here's his care instructions: https://caseyburnsflutes.com/flutecare.pdf
(oddly, not on the website any longer)
Enjoy!
Thanks!
ripleywm

Post by ripleywm »

gwuilleann wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:44 pm Looks like olivewood to me.
It is olivewood.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Is it just the photo or are the ferrules pinched in and not even with the flute are some of Casey’s just made that way?
jenfen

Post by jenfen »

I don't have any guidance, but I do want to say what a beautiful-looking flute it is. The grain of the wood is really lovely.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Ben Shaffer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:55 am Is it just the photo or are the ferrules pinched in and not even with the flute are some of Casey’s just made that way?
That caught my eye too, but I think it's just the photo.

I think it's Casey's 'Standard Flute', maybe ergonomic but not the small-handed version.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

It will be wise to follow the breaking in procedure
as you don’t know how long the flute has been sitting
and at what humidity level. Take it slow.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

It will be wise to follow the breaking in procedure
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
ripleywm

Post by ripleywm »

oleorezinator wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:26 am It will be wise to follow the breaking in procedure
Thanks, I will. It's pretty easy for me as I can't actually play yet, so 10 mins or so is about all I can take. I've got some bore oil and cleaning supplies coming as well.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Yup it's Casey's standard flute without tuning slide (as opposed to Folk Flute). I've owned both a Folk Flute and a standard with slide. Great flutes, great craftsmanship, clean ferrel transitions (since that was mentioned above). I ended up moving onto a flute with a bit more volume/power, since I was looking for that type of sound. Also I had a flute with ergonomic holes that I bought second hand, and I much prefer inline holes.

Regarding playing in, just slowly ramp up play time each week for about a month, applying oil every couple weeks or so. Then you can transition to 2x year oiling or whatever makes sense for your environment. That seems to be the common advice.
Life is good.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

That’s a nice find! I’ve never heard of him making any flutes with Olivewood before now.
paddy joyce
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by paddy joyce »

Yes, I have an olive wood flute made by Casey with inscriptions "BURNS 364 HONKER" on it. Lovely player, powerful sound. Could put up a photo if I knew how. Bought it off David Levine years ago.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Thomaston wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:28 am That’s a nice find! I’ve never heard of him making any flutes with Olivewood before now.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?t=95658 :)
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.