Mailing a Blackwood Flute from Scotland to the US

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Mailing a Blackwood Flute from Scotland to the US

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I'm interested in buying a used Blackwood Flute from an Individual in Scotland.
I live in the US
Any Tips regarding who to use as a Carrier, mailing Tips, Customs Etc? :-?
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Mailing a Blackwood Flute from Scotland to the US

Post by kkrell »

Do not ship if it contains any ivory.

ParcelForce (UK Royal Mail parcels). You want a carrier that delivers in the U.S. via the USPS, not DHL or FedEx (who tend to collect additional fees). Declare the wood on the Customs form - scientific name "Dalbergia melanoxylon" is best. If it's used or antique, mention it.

There are also numerous item pickup, pack & ship outfits in the UK that can process (for instance, if you're picking up from an auction house). I used Jentel Packing. Also available are Pack & Send (co. name) shops.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org